VISITING ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF VISUAL STUDIES IN ARCHITECTURE
The School of Art, Architecture and Design (SoAAD) is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic colleague for a position in the Master of Architecture Program as a visiting full-time Assistant/Associate Professor. (https://architecture.indiana.edu/academics/index.html) with an area focus in Studio Art. The primary location of this position is Columbus, IN, with a secondary location being Bloomington, IN.
SOAAD (https://soaad.indiana.edu/) is dedicated to developing a faculty body composed of diverse scholars and practitioners. We seek a forward-thinking colleague who wishes to be part of an innovative, founding program in architecture and who is committed to interdisciplinary engagement and exploration of the convergence of Architecture, Design and Studio Art. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to educate emerging leaders in architecture.
We are looking for candidates who have demonstrated innovative research in art, are interested in the intersection of architecture and studio art, and have demonstrated the capacity to collaborate with colleagues from a broad range of disciplines, have taught diverse populations of students, and have teaching/professional/research experience in two or more design related areas.
We seek candidates who can provide collegial leadership in a team-based environment. We are especially interested in candidates with a commitment in Studio Art to prepare graduate students to develop and hone their visual thinking and cross-pollinating interests between Studio Art and Architectural Design. A strong candidate will have demonstrated an ability to work successfully with students, faculty, administration and the community.
Position Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Faculty position in Visual Studies Studio instruction within the Architecture Program with an emphasis on teaching freehand drawing, printmaking and painting. Teaching Sculpture and Installation also desired.
* Assists in the development of the Visual Studies Studio curriculum with current faculty
* Assists in the development of overall curriculum course construction for the 3 year graduate program, working with the Director and Associate Director and faculty, and administrative staff to serve the mission of the IU M.Arch program.
* Assists in the management and preparation of the NAAB
accreditation process, coordinating with the Associate Director, faculty and staff in providing all material related to design education in the core for the NAAB
visiting teams and for all reports
* Works in collaboration with the community and Outreach Coordinator to identify and develop projects for student and community engagement in the first and second year core program
* Collaborates with fabrication/shop manager to develop projects and assembly methods that contribute to the curricular model for core
* Advises the Director and Associate Director in identifying candidates for visiting critics for interim and final reviews.
* Collaborates with the Gallery Director to establish an exhibition schedule in the gallery for end of year exhibition for exemplary core student work
* Potential for summer teaching.
* Successful candidates are potential to apply to Travel Grants from SoAAD, and receive benefits in addition to salary.
* MFA in Studio Arts or equivalent by the start date of employment
* Exhibition record, critical attention preferred
* The ideal candidate should have an in-depth knowledge of art history, historic and current art practices, experience in drawing, painting, sculpture and printmaking with the knowledge of digital processes used in current practices.
* Experience teaching relevant material
* Experience teaching to artists and non-artists
Salary and Rank: Salary commensurate with experience.
Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a completed application to http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/7230 and include the following materials:
* Letter of Application
* Statement of Teaching Philosophy
* Statement of Research and Teaching
* Evidence of Teaching Ability
* Three references including current address, phone number and email address
* Examples of professional / creative / academic work and/or student work – maximum 10 pages (Submitted under "Other")
Questions regarding the position or application process should be directed to: Megan Tansley, 139 Fine Arts Building, 1201 East 7th Street, Bloomington, IN 47405. Phone: 812-856-7448. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.