Faculty Tenure Track – 9 Month
The Shannon Rodgers and Jerry Silverman School of Fashion Design and Merchandising
Kent Campus – Kent, OH
Opportunity: The Fashion School at Kent State University seeks applicants for a full-time, 9-month, tenure track Assistant Professor in Fashion Design, beginning Fall 2019.
The Fashion School offers outstanding state-of-the-art facilities for teaching and connecting with the fashion industry and alumni; the Fashion School Store, a live retail environment located in downtown Kent; the TechStyleLAB research/learning and commercial technology laboratory; direct partnership with the KSU Fashion Museum, housing nearly 40,000 pieces in their collection and eight fantastic exhibition spaces; an exceptional Fashion Library with trend/archival and trade resources; and the NYC Studio, Florence Italy campuses for semester-long study away experiences, plus a curricular partnership with the Paris American Academy in France, Reutlingen University in Germany, Hong Kong Polytechnic University in Hong Kong, and Dankook University in South Korea. For more information on the school please visit our website: https://www.kent.edu/fashion
- Engage in a program of research/creative activity, leading to funded and collaborative projects in a fashion design context
- Teach and/or direct courses in fashion design, concept development, design research, and computer applications for fashion
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with industry partners to benefit research and teaching activities in the School
- Participate in supervisory committees of newly-created Master of Fashion Industry Studies program in The Fashion School
- Actively supervise undergraduate and graduate students for extracurricular competitions
- Engage in scholarly and creative activities
- Develop and maintain up-to-date fashion industry knowledge
- Participate on School, College and University committees
- Actively participate in professional organizations
- Strong collaborative practice with faculty and students
- Terminal degree (or a foreign degree equivalent) and relevant experience in fashion design or related field
- Evidence of scholarly activities commensurate with rank
In addition to the above qualifications, creative leadership experience in patternmaking/construction techniques and/or illustration and visualization, sustainability, fashion technology, supervising undergraduate/ graduate students in fashion design, proven record of teaching effectiveness, experience with successful grantsmanship, and/or prior industry employment/partnership experiences are strongly desirable.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include comprehensive insurance package and full tuition waivers for employee and family members.
All applicants must create an application online at http://jobs.kent.edu/. Applicants must also submit online a letter of application, curriculum vita, statement of teaching and research philosophy, digital portfolio or pdf of professional work, examples of student work, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references. Review of applications will commence November 30, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Inquiries may be addressed to:
Kendra Lapolla, Chair – Search Committee
The Fashion School – An Ohio Center of Excellence, Kent State University
515 Hilltop Drive, P.O. Box 5190, Rockwell Hall
For a complete description of this position and to apply online, visit our jobsite at https://jobs.kent.edu
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer / Disabled / Veterans