The School of Performing Arts at Stephens College invites applications for a tenure-track position in Theatre/Musical Theatre at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin in fall 2019, to teach in 3 year-2 summer Musical Theatre BFA program.
It is anticipated that the individual hired for this position will assume a leadership role for the Musical Theatre BFA degree. The appropriate candidate is conversant with all three disciplines – dance, theatre and music: as the students must fulfill an intense menu of requirements in all three areas. The musical theatre program is within the School of Creative and Performing Arts which offers BFA degrees in performing arts; theatre, dance, costume design, theatre management, and vocal performance in addition to the musical theatre degree. Performing Arts regularly mounts a full season which includes mainstage productions, new works, experimental theatre productions, and multiple dance and vocal concerts.
1. Teaching undergraduate studio courses in musical theatre performance, acting and musical theatre history
2. Directing at least one main stage production per year
3. Student advising
4. Participating in departmental and college productions
5. Participating in college service
6. Research/scholarly and creative output
Applicants will also have the opportunity to participate in summer programs for Stephens College including the Summer Theatre Institute and the Okoboji Summer Theatre (currently planning for season 62).
Candidates must have demonstrated excellence in teaching musical theatre, as well as strong professional expertise in his/her field, with a concentration in two of the three disciplines of theatre, music and dance. A terminal degree in musical theatre, dance, vocal music, or directing is required at the time of appointment.
- MFA, DMA, DM or PhD in musical theatre or related field
- Significant professional experience in musical theatre arts as a performer and/or director
- Significant music, theatre and dance experience
- Demonstrated teaching excellence at a college/university level
- Appreciation of women in theatre, dance and music
- Ability to enhance the existing performance curriculum through musical theatre, and to pursue interdisciplinary work
- A track record of scholarship/creative work
- Professional affiliations in one or more: Stage Directors and Choreographers Society, Actors Equity Association, Screen Actors Guild/American Federation of Television and Radio Artists
Stephens College is the second oldest women’s college in the country, ranked the 17th best quality of life great campus experience by The Princeton Review. The Stephens College theatre program is ranked #3 in the country by The Princeton Review. It is located in Columbia, Missouri, a vibrant college town approximately 120 miles from both Kansas City and St. Louis, is the second oldest women’s college in the country.
Applications should consist of a substantive cover letter addressing the qualifications listed above, reflecting your leadership style and statement of educational philosophy, a curriculum vitae, and a list of at least three professional references with full contact information and a note indicating the nature of your working relationship with each; references will not be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate.
Submit materials to email@example.com and complete an on-line Stephens College application at https://www.stephens.edu/services/hr/jobs/job-application/.