Ohio University Theater Division invites applicants for a full time, tenure-track Assistant Professor in Musical Theater for Fall 2018. The university seeks faculty members who demonstrate the ability to bring critical perspective to issues of diversity and multiculturalism. The college is invested in hiring faculty members who can actively contribute to the climate of diversity and inclusion in the Theater Division through their teaching and creative activity.
The Theater Division is a professional training program with BFA degrees in Performance, Playwriting, Stage Management, and Production Design & Technology (PD&T) and MFA degrees in Acting, Directing, Playwriting, and PD&T. There are approximately 175 students (of which 45-50 are graduate students) and 25 faculty and staff.
The successful candidate will develop and lead a new BFA Musical Theater track in conjunction with the established BFA in Performance track. When the program is fully developed, a teaching load of three courses per semester is expected, which could include such topics as auditioning, acting, and musical theater performance. The candidate will direct productions; being able to serve as a choreographer or music director is desirable. Courses in the candidate’s areas of expertise will also be considered. The successful candidate will shape the new Musical Theater track by guiding the search for three additional faculty members in Theater, Dance, and Music. Additional duties include advising, coaching, committee work, and recruiting. Our current BFA and MFA in Acting programs emphasize performance through the authentic use of the self. We are looking for a colleague who shares our philosophy, collaborates well, and is committed to sustaining a professional career.
- Terminal degree – MFA or MM in Musical Theater; MFA in Directing or Acting plus at least 5 years of high-level professional experience as a director or actor; OR BFA plus at least 8 years of high-level professional experience as a director or actor. Choreographer or musical director is valued.
- Extensive knowledge of both traditional and contemporary musical theater repertoire.
- Effective collaborative, organizational and interpersonal skills with students, performance faculty, administrative staff, and production faculty and staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to student-centered educational experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely and effectively with a diverse student body, and staff.
- Preferred candidates will have at least 5 years experience in professional musical theater and experience with theatrical unions.
- AEA or SDC membership.
For a complete job announcement and application procedure, visit: http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/25531