The Department of Visual & Performing Arts chairperson will report to the dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, and will have responsibility for the leadership and administration of the department.
More specific administrative duties of this position include but are not limited to:
*Engaging faculty in the strategic planning process for the department
*Department budget development, management and allocation
*Personnel management (i.e., recruitment and hiring; faculty/staff assignments and workload distribution; evaluation and professional guidance/development; reappointment, promotion & tenure, and post-tenure processes
*Oversight of department accreditation
*Curricular and program development
*Grantsmanship and external funding focus
*Support of faculty research, teaching & service
*Facilities management (if/as required)
The primary responsibilities for this position include teaching undergraduate level courses, conducting research, student advising, student mentoring and recruitment, curriculum development, conducting scholarly activities and all other activities required for tenure and promotion. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to, engaging in accreditation procedures, program assessment and service to the department, College and University as needed.
- Evaluate and grade students’ class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate students.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional organizations and conferences.
- Conduct research in field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Collaborate with members of the business community to improve programs, to develop new programs, and to provide student access to learning opportunities such as internships.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Develop and maintain course websites.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.