The NASAD accredited Department of Art and Design at Bradley University, located in Peoria IL., seeks applicants for an assistant professor position in Graphic Design
to begin in August 2022. The position is a full-time-tenure-track position
. We seek applicants with both print and digital graphic design skills and an open-minded approach to broadening the scope and definition of the role of the designer as a problem solver and design practitioner, while still delivering the foundations of graphic design. The successful applicant will be a practicing designer and educator who can create an inspiring experiential learning environment, both in person and online, for students, with an emphasis on human-centered design. The successful candidate will work with colleagues within, and beyond, the department of art and design, as well as the community, to continue to develop and deliver a curriculum that encourages and integrates a multi-platform approach to visual communication in print, digital and beyond.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Teach courses as assigned, which may include introductory through advanced (upper-graduate level) courses in graphic design courses, including typography, editorial design, brand experience, information design, and capstone portfolio.
- Serve as a leader in the continual development of the graphic design program – both studio-based, and potentially online
- Maintain regular office hours at times reasonably convenient to students
- Serve as an advisor and mentor to students.
- Assist students in developing professional print and digital portfolio materials
- Coordinate capstone Graphic Design Portfolio shows on and off campus
- Develop and sustain a rigorous creative agenda and profile: produce a significant body of high-quality creative work that is evaluated through peer-review and disseminated to the appropriate regional, national and international venues beyond the University.
- Engage in meaningful and useful service that promotes department, college and university strategic goals and priorities, commensurate to rank.
- Develop and maintain strong links with graphic design alum. and design organizations (e.g. AIGA).
- A terminal Art Degree (MFA or equivalent)
- Experience teaching graphic design at the college level is required
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite Design applications on the Mac OS platform
- Candidates must demonstrate a record of exceptional teaching, with evidence of creative work and professional achievements at regional and national levels
- Excellent communication skills
- Professional graphic design experience (five years or more)
- Ability to teach in two or more key areas as listed from introductory through graduate level: graphic design, web design, typography, digital imaging, user interface design, and packaging design.
- A demonstrated understanding of the theory and history of graphic is strongly desired.
- Additional desirable areas of expertise could include, user experience design, design thinking and the psychology of graphic design.
- Evidence of collaboration with undergraduate students
- Strong connections to industry
Qualified candidates should submit (via the Bradley University HR/workforcenow.adp site) all application materials in digital PDF format, including a letter of application addressing the position qualifications, evidence of teaching effectiveness including examples of student work; a digital portfolio with 20 images representing your creative production and professional design experience; current curriculum vitae; and complete contact information, including e-mail address, for three professional references. Please submit all materials at the time of initial application.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To ensure full consideration, application materials should be received by June 30, 2022
. Review of applications will continue immediately. Employment with Bradley University is contingent upon satisfactory criminal background check.