Supervisor – Workshop Letterpress Typography
The German University in Cairo - GUC (Cairo Campus)
Faculty of Applied Arts and Sciences
The German University in Cairo invites applications for the following vacancies to be filled effective September 2022 or February 2023
The Faculty of Applied Science and Arts enrolls 1,250 students across three design majors:
Graphic, Product and Media Design. The Design Workshops are an interdisciplinary department and
currently consist of seven separate workshop units. The department’s mission is to teach all
students practical skills relevant to the majors Graphic, Media and Product Design. Throughout the
majors, the workshops are an important resource, where students conduct experiments, realize
assignments, create design prototypes, and participate in research. The Design Workshops
contribute to the unique profile of the Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts as a leader in design
education in Egypt.
The GUC (Cairo Campus) invites highly able and motivated applicants for the following vacancy in
the Workshop Design Department.
• A creative professional and design graduate with experience in academic teaching or a
• Motivated to gain experience within an intercultural academic environment and be willing to
develop an own profile at the intersection of digital graphic design, craft and technology.
• Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to undergraduate and graduate
• Collaborate with the workshops Illustration Techniques and Bookbinding in the fields of
Graphic and Product Design in all aspects of workshop management, thereby expanding the
capacity, efficiency and creative profile of the workshop letterpress typography.
• Conduct regular introductory and advanced courses for students according to the schedule and
supervise individual student projects.
• Monitor safety and health regulations, plan workshop investments and supervise material
Experience / Skills:
• Knowledgeable about current and future approaches within the field of letterpress and
typography, digital graphic design, craft and technology.
• Curiosity to widen the perception within the respective crafts discipline and thus create a
foundation for design-oriented actions and mindsets.
• Ability to work well with colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional experience
and aesthetic sensibilities.
• Ability to structure and define project goals in order to foster and motivate positive experiences.
• An interest in and conducting research in the designated area.
• Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills in English, which is the teaching
• Close cooperation with the faculty, especially with the Graphic Design Department
• Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and
• An interest in working collaboratively within the GUC and with external partners towards
the development of shared projects.
The German University in Cairo is an Egyptian Private University, established in cooperation with the German State Universities of Ulm and Stuttgart, under the patronage of the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education, the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts, State of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany, and supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the German Embassy in Cairo, the Arab/German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (AHK), the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, the Universities of Stuttgart, Ulm, Mannheim, and Tübingen. Situated at the ancient city of Cairo, the GUC’s mission is to achieve excellence in teaching and research.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including: employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications and projects undertaken and names of at least three referees, motivational letter and an online access to a portfolio of your work. Applications to be submitted online through the GUC website: https://www.guc.edu.eg/en/jobs/ by referencing posting: Ref Code: II8.3.3
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. For best consideration, submit applications before 15th of June 2022.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org)