The University of New Mexico, Department of Theatre and Dance, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in the area of Costume Design beginning in August 2023. The successful candidate will be a team member working within an interdisciplinary environment and is expected to teach five undergraduate courses per academic year in Costume Design and Technology including but not limited to, costume design in introduction and advanced, history of fashion and costume, and makeup. The candidate will maintain research, scholarly, and/or creative activity in costume design and pedagogy.
The candidate will participate in departmental production activities, committee assignments within the College and/or Department, design two department mainstage productions each year, and mentor/ supervise student designers.
Salary: $55,000 (9- month contract) plus full benefit package. This is a probationary appointment leading to a tenure decision.
- MFA in Costume Design or significant professional experience
- Teaching experience at the university level
- Professional experience as a costume designer
- Ability to provide research, sketches, renderings (digital and/or hand drawn), any other materials to communicate ideas
- More than three years of university teaching
- Demonstrated proficiency as a costume designer in theatre and/or film/television
- Union membership in theatre and/or film
- Second area of competence, such as makeup, prop, scenic design, and/or art direction/production design are desired qualifications
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: A complete application will include a signed cover letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, diversity statement, and contact information for three references. At least ten representative designs (with descriptions) in digital format or website link. In addition, materials reflecting successful teaching of relevant subjects if available. For best consideration, complete application packets must be received by 5:00pm (MST) January 15, 2023. Position will remain open until filled. Apply online at:
https://unmjobs.unm.edu Posting #req21967
Contact: Angelica Chavez, Dept. of Theatre and Dance, MSC05 2750, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001. Email: email@example.com, Tel: 505-277-2737, Fax: 505-277-8921
DEPARTMENT OF THEATRE & DANCE: The Department of Theatre & Dance has approximately 150 undergraduate majors and 13 graduate students. The faculty of 17 full time and 15 part time instructors offers a diverse curriculum of courses leading to the BA, BFA, MA, and MFA degrees. The Department presents six major productions (four theatre and two dance) each academic year and supports a variety of laboratory productions in its three modern theatres. Visit our website: http://theatre.unm.edu/
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO is located in Albuquerque, a metropolitan area of 600,000 located at the base of the Sandia Mountains, in the Rio Grande valley at an altitude of 5000 feet. The University has a faculty of 1500 serving approximately 30,000 students. THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY /AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND EDUCATOR.