San Francisco State University
School of Design
Tenure-Track Assistant Professor – Design Foundations
The School of Design at San Francisco State University offers an exciting opportunity for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Design Foundations beginning August 2020. We seek a colleague whose teaching and research interests include foundational topics such as principles and elements, form and space, sketching and prototyping, digital media, and other introductory design concepts and tools. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, through diversity, to the excellence of the academic community.
The School of Design at San Francisco State University serves a broad and diverse community of undergraduate and graduate students. Our teaching stresses user-focused design practices, process-based approaches, and contextual design within an interdisciplinary department. We offer two BS degrees in Visual Communication Design and Product Design, and an MA in Design at the graduate level.
The mission of San Francisco State University is to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area; to promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment; and to provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as the nation and world. To fulfill its mission, the University is committed to the following goals:
- Attracting, retaining and graduating a highly diverse student body
- Providing disciplinary and interdisciplinary liberal arts and professional education that is academically rigorous and intellectually challenging
- Providing curricula that reflect all dimensions of human diversity, and that encourage critical thinking and a commitment to social justice
- Recruiting, retaining and supporting a diverse faculty whose teaching demonstrates an active engagement with their individual fields of study and whose creative and scholarly work is an extension of the classroom, laboratory or studio
- Employing a staff and administration reflecting the diversity of our student community and the values of the campus;
- Fostering a collegial and cooperative intellectual environment that includes recognition and appreciation of differing viewpoints and promotes academic freedom within the University community; and
- Serving the communities with which its students and faculty are engaged.
Responsibilities: The position requires undergraduate teaching experience in fundamental design areas such as principles and elements, form and space, sketching and prototyping, digital media, and/or other foundational topics in design. The candidate will be instrumental in building a foundational design curriculum; mentoring and advising undergraduate students; working with First Year Experience and other Student Success initiatives on campus; developing an active ongoing scholarship program or program of creative work in their area of specialty; and ongoing committee and service assignments. Detailed position description is available at https://design.sfsu.edu/jobs-design .
- Candidates must have a PhD, M.F.A, or equivalent terminal degree in a design or a related discipline. Terminal degree must be completed by the first day of employment.
- Record of contributing to collegial, supportive and collaborative work environments
- Record of teaching design fundamentals at the undergraduate level
- Ability and passion to work with university and college student success initiatives
- Record of working and communicating effectively with colleagues and students
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate inclusion, diversity, and educational equity in teaching, and/or scholarship/creative works
- Experience teaching/working with students from historically under-represented communities
Rank and salary: Assistant Professor. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The California State University (CSU) provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Application: Submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application for Design Foundation. Applications should include a letter of intent/interest, a current CV, a statement on how your teaching and scholarship and/or creative work align with the commitment of the School of Design to foster an inclusive and diverse academic community; portfolio of work and samples of scholarly papers (if applicable); teaching philosophy; sample assignments and student work; description of research/creative interests; names and contact information of three references. Letters of recommendation upon request at a later date. Application reviews begin January 01, 2019 and continue until filled.