ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF MUSIC, THEATRE & DANCE. As a comprehensive performing arts school set in one of the world’s finest public institutions of higher education, the School of Music, Theatre & Dance (SMTD) is deeply engaged in the creation, practice, scholarship, and pedagogy of music, theatre, and dance. We aim to provide leadership, nationally and internationally, in all three fields. We assert and celebrate the value of the arts to the mission of the University of Michigan. SMTD is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion as a means of achieving and sustaining excellence.
University Productions (UProd) presents ten fully-mounted main stage shows each year, serving the departments of Theatre & Drama, Musical Theatre, Dance, and Voice in three different venues. These productions are directed by faculty and guest directors, and crewed by performance and design and production majors. Additional faculty, guests, and BFA students complete the creative production teams. Design & Production majors work as stage managers, shop assistants, and technicians for each production; talented students may design costumes, sets or lighting for these productions. UProd manages all of the production shops and facilities including a 17,000 square foot costume stock warehouse, and professional costume shop. The costume shop is staffed by a shop manager, four cutter-drapers, crafts artisan, stock manager, wardrobe supervisor, and full time stitcher. Students work in the shop as work study, paid staff, or for credit.
Duties: This appointment carries an annual load of teaching four courses (one course is defined as 2 or more academic credits) for the Department of Theatre & Drama, and designing two shows for the UProd main stage season, with course release for designing additional shows. Principal teaching will be in costume technology. Rotating courses will include Costume Construction, Costume Crafts, Pattern Drafting, Costume Design 1, Stage Makeup, and may include other courses depending on the candidate’s qualifications. Additional responsibilities include advising student designers and technicians, academic advising and recruitment, customary meetings, and professional development. The successful candidate will maintain a professional creative profile as a designer or technician. The appointee will also be expected to participate in faculty governance, attend faculty meetings, and serve on faculty and University committees as appropriate.
● Terminal degree; significant professional experience in lieu of a terminal degree may be considered
● Evidence of excellence in teaching at the university level or equivalent excellence in teaching related experiences
● Strong background in costume technology and design rooted in professional performance practices, for example, experience with cutting, draping, and millinery
● Ability to teach a full range of costume technology classes offered in a BFA curriculum
● Ability to relate to students and colleagues in a university environment
● Demonstrated supervisory and collaborative abilities; ability to adhere to production timelines
● Superlative organizational practices, time management skills, and communication skills
● Commitment to nurturing a broad range of students of diverse identities and experiences, as demonstrated through pedagogy, service, and professional activities.
● Advanced theatrical wig and makeup techniques including ventilating and casting
● Experience with digital fabrication processes, for example, laser cutting and 3D printing
● Experience with on-line learning environments
● Other costume specialities including corsetry, history, tailoring, etc.
Rank: Assistant Professor, tenure-track appointment
Deadline: November 1, 2019
To Apply: Materials are only being accepted via Interfolio. Required documents to be uploaded are: letter of interest, curriculum vitae, evidence of professional and teaching activity (including a link to an online portfolio, or digital file) and a list of at least five current references with contact information. To apply, please visit Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/69419. Please ensure you upload documents to the position for which you are applying and not to your personal Interfolioaccount.