Assistant/Associate Professor - Fashion Department - Full-time Tenure-Track (71102)
Location: Brooklyn, NY
The Fashion Department at Pratt Institute invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank to begin in August 2023. The successful candidate will teach construction and advanced technical courses working within and across the department's BFA and MFA programs.
We seek applicants whose portfolios demonstrate professional experience and knowledge in any of the following areas of expertise: pattern-making; draping; tailoring; and cut + sew. Experience in the plus-size industry is strongly encouraged. Professional or scholarly focus may include a broad set of interests and applications outside traditional fashion practice, including but not limited to: size and accessibility; body positivity and size inclusion; design innovation and entrepreneurship. Candidates' pedagogy and research must engage historical and critical perspectives on garment design, including issues surrounding sustainability, technological advancement, and equity and inclusion.
Applicants are expected to demonstrate a commitment to curricular development and pedagogical innovation as well as a passion for fostering institutional change through service and interdisciplinary collaboration. A strong record of achievement that includes professional practice, research, scholarship and creative activity is required. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students, and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
About Pratt Institute
Pratt Institute provides the creative leaders of tomorrow the knowledge and experience to make a better world. A top-ranked college with opportunities in art, design, architecture, liberal arts and sciences, and information studies, Pratt offers nearly 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
The Institute's impact expands beyond its 25-acre residential campus in Brooklyn to cutting-edge facilities throughout the borough, a landmark building and public gallery in Manhattan, as well as an extension campus, PrattMWP College of Art and Design in Utica, New York. Since its founding in 1887, Pratt has prioritized diversity and inclusion, welcoming students from all walks of life while developing and sustaining pathways to more equitable workplaces and careers.
Today, Pratt and its exceptional faculty pride themselves on being academically excellent as well as adaptable to both in-person and online learning. Pratt students are part of a collaborative, interdisciplinary, research and inquiry based education that prepares them for success in creative fields and professional practice, with the goal of contributing to a more equitable, just and sustainable world. With a long-held commitment to the communities of New York, Pratt partners locally through the Pratt Center for Community Development. The Institute also offers a variety of programs for local pre-college and continuing education students in the Center for Art, Design, and Community Engagement K-12 and the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.
The value of a Pratt education is evident in its graduates' diverse and thriving careers, where their designs, art, work, and environments have reimagined our world. In over 75 countries across the globe, Pratt's 61,000 alumni are advancing the creative economy and making a positive impact through their remarkable work and research.
The successful candidate will:
- Teach a range of undergraduate and graduate fashion courses.
- Have a recognized research/scholarship practice, creative activity and/or professional practice.
- Actively participate in departmental and institutional service, including committee work and academic support services such as curricular coordination and development, curricular assessment, supervision of student organizations, student advising and recruitment activities.
Salary Range: $74K - $91.7K
MFA or MA or degree equivalent in fashion design, or related discipline.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching with a minimum of three years of experience at the undergraduate and/or graduate level.
- 3-5 years of recognized creative scholarship and/or current professional practice in the field of fashion design or a related discipline.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent collaborator with management and leadership skills.
- Expertise in a broad range of methodologies, concepts, techniques and technology related to fashion design practice.
- Demonstrated ability to work with other faculty and students on interdisciplinary/collaborative projects.
- Demonstrated interest in practice and/or research that advances diversity, equity and inclusion priorities.
To apply, visit https://apply.interfolio.com/112691
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.