Assistant Teaching Professor of Music
Humanities & Arts Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The music division at WPI seeks a Director of the Concert Band at the level of Assistant Teaching Professor (full time, non-tenure-track) to begin in the Fall of 2020. The WPI Concert Band is one of the many choral and music ensembles at WPI. The ensemble typically numbers between 80-90 students and functions simultaneously as a course, bearing academic credit through the Department of Humanities and Arts, and as a student club. Rehearsals are held twice weekly for the full ensemble with sectionals frequently being held during the week. The Concert Band typically performs four major concerts per year on campus and occasional programs off campus. In addition to performance opportunities, the Music Division offers a number of courses in music history, theory, and technology. Students may study music to satisfy the Humanities and Arts requirement and may also continue to pursue a Minor or a Major Concentration in Music.
The Director of the Concert Band will:
- organize and lead the WPI Concert Band in regular rehearsals and concerts.
- supervise smaller ensembles derived from the band such as Woodwind Ensemble, Percussion ensemble, and Flute Ensemble. There is an established Brass Ensemble which may fall under the purview of this position depending on the director's background.
- ensure proper maintenance and organization of the band equipment
- teach music courses and seminars as assigned. In the first year, this will include three introductory courses in music appreciation and theory, and a practicum in music performance.
- design and revise the music curriculum in collaboration with the other music faculty.
- participate in initiatives conducted by the Humanities and Arts Department.
- advise student projects.
- work with the student officers in the Symphonic Association to develop and realize musical programs
- Masters Degree in Music (Doctorate preferred)
- Academic focus on instrumental music
- Successful experience directing bands at the university level
As part of your application, please submit
- a cover letter that addresses your musical and teaching practice
- your current C.V. that contains contact information for three professional references
- optional: a link to a video (10-15 min) of you performing and / or rehearsing with a concert band (both are preferred).
Review of materials will begin on March 23th and will remain open until the position is filled.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Assistant-Teaching-Professor-of-Music_R0000906
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.