The School of Architecture, Art and Design at the American University in Dubai invites qualified applicants for the position of Assistant/Associate Professor of Visual Communication (Foundations / Product Design or Applied Design) to begin teaching in Fall 2019.
The successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of a studio-based MFA from a Western-accredited university with at least 18 graduate credit hours in applied arts / design or equivalent foreign institution qualifications. Teaching experience beyond graduate school is desired.
- Strong skills in freehand drawing and design are required.
- The ability to integrate digital aspects of design creation within teaching is desired
- Demonstrate a capacity to teach one or more courses in the Department’s Foundation curriculum.
- Experience teaching beginning and advanced level courses in a design specialization or product design.
- A secondary qualification to teach printmaking, painting or product design courses would be considered a plus.
Duties and responsibilities: This faculty position typically teaches four courses in foundations, design or other course assignments each semester; and participates in the oversight of the foundations program. Additionally, this faculty position will actively participate in the studio curriculum, course development and facilities enhancement. Excellence in teaching, research and/or creative activity, and university or community service is expected of all AUD faculty. AUD seeks candidates committed to using integrative technologies in teaching.
The compensation package for this position is competitive and is based on the expatriate model. Besides tax-exempt basic salary, it includes housing, annual two-way airfare, health / life insurance, professional memberships, conference attendance expenses, assistance with children’s tuition, and other components.
The American University in Dubai is a private, non-sectarian institution of higher learning founded in 1995. It serves UAE nationals and international students who seek world-class career-oriented education. AUD, as an international institution of higher education, encourages global understanding by providing an atmosphere of cultural diversity and opportunities for an international education.
Applications will be accepted and evaluated until this position is filled.
Interested applicants must submit the following requirements via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statement of teaching philosophy
Portfolio with examples of professional or creative work as well as of students’ creative work from courses taught (ideally ten of each)
Contact information of three (3) academic/professional references
Alternatively, applicants can submit their application materials to the following postal address:
The American University in Dubai
P.O. Box 28282, Dubai, U.A.E.
No telephone calls please.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview.