Assistant Professor of Directing, Theatre and Dance (3507)
Pocatello - Main
Idaho State University, established in 1901, is a Carnegie-classified doctoral research and teaching institution, with a culture built on trust, compassion, stability, and hope. ISU serves over 12,000 students in Pocatello, Meridian, Twin Falls, and Idaho Falls. Students and faculty at ISU are leading the way in cutting-edge research and innovative solutions. We are proud to offer exceptional academics nestled in the grand, natural beauty of the West. We invite you to apply to be a part of our University community!
We are seeking to fill a tenure track Directing faculty position beginning in August 2023, at the rank of Assistant Professor, for ISU's Theatre and Dance department. Faculty in the department typically teach 9 credits per semester. The successful candidate is expected to teach required Theatre courses in Stage Direction, Script Analysis, Theatre History, and other courses within areas of specialization.
Additional responsibilities include the following:
- Direct one to two mainstage productions per year
- Work collaboratively with Design and Technical faculty
- Mentor and advise students
- Recruit for the department
- Contribute to department and university initiatives in equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Foster collegial university and community relations
- Actively collaborate with faculty in other departments
- Participate in departmental/university service activities
- Fulfill other duties as assigned based on overall workload considerations
ISU's Theatre and Dance department is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) and offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre with minors in both Theatre and Dance.
As a college, we are dedicated to creating an inclusive and equitable experience for students, faculty and staff. We pride ourselves on making meaningful, professional contributions to our disciplines, departments, university, and community. This includes being passionate about providing outstanding learning opportunities for our students, many of whom are first-generation college students from Idaho. We also pride ourselves on our commitment to working supportively and collaboratively with other members of the department to achieve university goals to meet our collective mission. Our goal in the College of Arts and Letters is to work together in putting students first, and we expect our entire faculty to embrace this core value.
Strong interpersonal communication skills, collaboration, and mentoring skills are required.
- MFA with directing emphasis
- College level teaching experience in theatre classes
- Strong evidence of knowledge of current methodologies and teaching practices in theatre
- Demonstrated evidence of professional scholarly/creative work
- PhD with directing/history emphasis
- Two years of college level teaching experience within a theatre department
- Experience contributing to curricular development and/or programmatic growth
- Demonstrated professional experience in at least 2 of the following areas:
- Theatre history
- Playscript analysis
- Children's theatre
- Applied theatre
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and representation in both classroom and production environments
- Demonstrated commitment to mentoring, community engagement, and recruitment, showing evidence of successful collaboration
You must submit the following to be fully considered:
- Letter of interest
- One page summary of teaching philosophy
- Diversity statement
- Portfolio of professional/directorial work
- List of three professional references with current contact information
This position will remain open until it is filled; however, priority consideration will be given to applications received prior to March 12, 2023. Salary will be between $55,000 and $60,000 per year, commensurate with education and experience. Benefits include comprehensive health, dental, and vision; life insurance; disability plan; employee assistance program (EAP); excellent retirement options and company contribution; and generous paid time off/sick leave accrual. All offers of employment are conditional pending the successful completion of a background investigation, provided by HireRight.
Posting Number: req1848
Type: Working 9 months per year
Position: Faculty Tenure Track
Division: Idaho State University
The State of Idaho is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, political affiliation or belief, sex, national origin, genetics, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
The State of Idaho is committed to access and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities, auxiliary aids and services are available upon request. If you require an accommodation at any step in our recruitment process, you are encouraged to contact (208) 334-2263 (TTY/TTD: 711), or email email@example.com.
Preference may be given to veterans who qualify under state and federal laws and regulations.
To apply, visit https://isu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/5/home/requisition/1848?c=isu