- 3 Full time, continuing positions
- Contribute to teaching and research in Design at The School of Architecture, Design and Planning
- Academic Level B or C. Base Salary $113,184 - $159,867 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning is an internationally acknowledged centre for intellectual, scientific, and creative research and attracts the highest quality scholars in Australia. The School of Architecture, Design and Planning is committed to a sustainable future for Sydney and the world. Creatively combining the disciplines of Architecture, Urbanism and Design, we explore how cities, spaces, buildings, technologies, and services can better meet the needs of people and society. Our educators and researchers are experimental, imaginative, and critical, innovating at and beyond the boundaries of their disciplines and creating exciting and engaging learning experiences for our students – the global citizens of tomorrow.
Design is a rapidly growing and highly successful discipline within the school. Our design research explores the role of design in speculating on the future, envisioning, defining, and informing the societal, ecological, political and life-centred interactions and experiences that emerge between people and technology. Pushing the boundaries of pedagogical practice in interaction and innovation, we encourage our students to critically rethink and prototype the objects, systems, experiences, and materials that shape human experience and life on the planet through the design lens. Recognising that design cannot happen in isolation, we actively collaborate across disciplines and with external partners, including industry, not-for-profit, government and community groups and organisations, in inclusive and place-based ways.
The school is now seeking to appoint an outstanding academic at the level of Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Design to join our rapidly growing and highly successful discipline.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- co-ordinate and teach across our growing design programs, including Bachelor of Design (Interaction Design), Master of Design, and Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts
- contribute to the continued evolution of design programs in ADP, including curriculum planning and development, program delivery and evaluation, innovative pedagogies, and studio practice
- pursue opportunities to enhance the profile and reputation of Design locally, nationally, and internationally through partnerships, projects, and collaboration in teaching, research, and engagement
- make a significant research contribution to the School through original, high-quality outputs that demonstrate robust disciplinary scholarship, contribute to current discipline interest areas, and offer strong teaching-research linkages.
We are looking for a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Design who possesses:
- PhD in design or cognate field
- broad experience in teaching and learning at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as evidenced by participation in team teaching and HDR supervision in various settings
- demonstrated success in designing, implementing, and evaluating cutting-edge teaching and learning initiatives which inform curriculum development
- a proven track record of original, high-quality and independent research within the field of Design, aligned to one or more of our discipline interest areas: Interaction Design; Affective Interactions; Social and Civic Design; Urban Interfaces; and Designing with AI
- a vision for (and desirably evidence of progress towards) securing research funding as lead investigator and/or part of a team
- a developing network of relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners, and stakeholders
- a collegial approach and willingness to contribute to mentoring others, academic governance, engagement, and administration.
Please state in your cover letter the level of the role you wish to apply for (Level B or C) and the reason why you are best suited to this level.
Please note: For the right candidates, visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Click here to apply
Closing date for applications
11:59 pm, Thursday 13th April 2023
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.