The Department of Communication & Theatre Arts at ODU is seeking a full-time professor (Tenure track, Assistant or Associate level) with substantial Cinema/TV post-production experience to help lead an expanding program in Cinema and Television production in a top-50 media market. ODU’s Film Program places an emphasis on students being hands-on; the program delves deep into production in an experiential learning environment. This professor will act as a postproduction supervisor for the program, overseeing both the academic components of teaching post-production, as well as the post-production of our Departmental films, possibly including feature films. As a tenure-track appointment, a demonstrated ongoing body of scholarly or creative research is necessary, however, this research is not limited in scope to the arena of postproduction. Preference will be given to applicants with experience teaching film studies classes and/or experience in multimedia production that melds film, theater, dance, and other creative fields.
Expectations include teaching 3 courses per semester (Fall/Spring) in Cinema/TV/Advertising/Commercial post-production and film related areas plus traditional service contributions to the Film Program. The position begins July 25, 2022, a recurring 10-month contract with benefits and the potential to teach additional courses during summer semesters, including online courses.
Minimum Qualifications - knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Experience with post-production for narrative film productions, commercial TV productions, publicity, or advertising
- Ability to teach editing, compositing, motion graphics, color correction, and other film related courses.
- Should be an expert in multiple industry-standard applications such as Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premier, Adobe After-Effects, DaVinci Resolve, etc.
Minimum Qualifications - Education or training
Terminal degree (MFA or PhD) in Editing, Cinema, Film, Television, Media Arts, or related discipline.
- Two or more years of previous university teaching experience. Credential as an Avid Certified Instructor
- One or more of the following:
- Desire to participate in departmentally produced film productions.
- Experience designing post-production workflow and curriculum.
- An active professional portfolio of work.
- Ability to teach courses in areas outside of post-production, for example film history, especially subjects tied to areas of ongoing research.
- A working knowledge of Avid ProTools.