VISITING LECTURER IN COMPREHENSIVE DESIGN
Indiana University Bloomington
The Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture + Design (https://soaad.indiana.edu/) is dedicated to developing a faculty body composed of diverse scholars and practitioners who wish to be part of the forefront of integrative design thinking and practice. We seek a forward-thinking colleague who is committed to interdisciplinary engagement and exploration of the convergence of the areas of Design, Art, Architecture, and Merchandising. This will be a one-year appointment, which may be extended for one additional year. Continuation of the appointment is based on effective performance of assigned duties, school funding, and continuation of programmatic needs. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to educate emerging leaders in interior design.
We are looking for candidates who have demonstrated the capacity to collaborate with colleagues from a broad range of disciplines, have had exposure to diverse populations of students, and have academic and/or significant professional experience.
We seek candidates who can provide collegial leadership in a team-based environment. We are especially interested in scholars and practitioners who are prepared to teach foundational concepts and critical thinking in the studio environment, preparing students to be able to respond to the complex global challenges found in design professions.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching an annual course load of five courses during the 10-month academic year.
- Participating in curriculum development.
The Eskenazi School is committed to building and supporting a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community of students and scholars.
Founded in 1820, Indiana University Bloomington is the flagship campus of IU’s eight campuses statewide. Innovation, creativity, and academic freedom are hallmarks of our world-class contributions in research and the arts.
The Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture + Design houses fourteen different areas in art, design, and merchandising. This is where art, merchandising, architecture, and design merge to shape the future of creativity from imagination to implementation.
Candidates must have:
- A masters degree OR equivalent professional experience in architecture, industrial design or a closely-related field by the start of employment.
- A portfolio containing evidence of expertise in interdisciplinary design work and process, communication of design ideas, fabrication and digital design (Note: Please make indication of individual contribution to any collaborative projects presented in the portfolio.)
- Familiarity and experience with Design Thinking
- Preferred demonstrated record of college-level teaching, especially in design studios.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Professional design experience with demonstrated expertise in architectural design or industrial design, socially responsible and sustainable design, 3d modeling (Rhino/Grasshopper), digital and analog fabrication.
- Experience with community engaged learning
- Salary commensurate with experience. The anticipated appointment will be for one year. Visiting positions at Indiana University may be renewed dependent on funding and instructional needs.
The start date for this position is 8/1/2020.
Applications received by May 28th, 2020 will be given full consideration. Applications accepted until position is filled. Interested candidates should review the application requirements and submit their application materials (CV/resume, letter of application, statement about teaching/mentoring philosophy, design portfolio (submitted as "Other"), and names of three references with their contact information. Interested candidates should review the application requirements and submit applications to http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/9262. Questions regarding the position or application process should be directed to: Megan Tansley, Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture + Design at Indiana University, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org