The Department of Theatre and Dance at Missouri State University invites applicants for a full time, tenure-track faculty position to fulfill Production Management/Stage Management Mentoring duties at the assistant professor rank. Start date for the position is August 10, 2020.
Primary responsibility includes instruction of academic courses in Stage and Production Management. Secondary area of expertise is desirable with preference given to those candidates with experience in sound design and reinforcement.
Teaching departmental classes as needed, mentoring of undergraduate students and supervision of student stage managers for productions during the department’s season, management/scheduling of departmental spaces and season productions including space rentals, development/scheduling of departmental production calendar including design & production meetings, rehearsal schedules, technical rehearsals, and production runs. Participation in activities involving Design, Technology, & Stage Management students including such things as BFA reviews and academic advisement. Uphold, enforce as needed and help develop rehearsal, audition and backstage policies and protocols ensuring safety and best practices.
Ongoing professional activity, student recruitment, and university & professional service is expected.
Candidate Requirements -
- Terminal degree (60 hours) with an emphasis in stage and/or production management and/or sound design required
- Experience in teaching stage management and production management and/or additional courses related to expertise for two or more years at a college level beyond graduate teaching appointment, and/or commensurate professional experience required
- Professional experience in theatrical management at the regional, national, and/or international level required
- Professional affiliations (USA/IATSE, AEA, USITT, etc.)
- Evidence of skill in appropriate computer programs used in the theatrical arena such as Pro tools, Audacity, Garage Band, Photoshop, Vectorworks/AutoCAD, etc.
- Experience working in diverse environment and/or with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of multicultural and diversity issues.
The Department of Theatre & Dance at Missouri State University offers the following degree programs – BA/BS, BSED and BFA in Theatre & Dance with emphasis in Design/Technology/ Stage Management (DTSM), Acting, Musical Theatre, or Dance. The department produces six productions a year along with Tent Theatre – an outdoor summer theatre which is Equity associated. The DTSM program at Missouri State in included in On Stage Blog’s "Top 30 Design/Technology Programs for 2019/20".
Please submit the following required documents: Cover Letter, Unofficial Transcripts, Statement of teaching Philosophy, 3 current references, online portfolio and Curriculum Vitae.
First date of consideration: December 22, 2019. Open until filled.
Missouri State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action/minority/female/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity employer and institution. We encourage applications from all interested minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and sexual orientation/gender identity.
Employment will require a criminal background check at University expense.