Part-Time Instructor Pool UX/UI Design and UX Research UC Berkeley Extension
Academic - Non-Tenure Track
UC Berkeley Extension, the professional and continuing education division at the University of California, Berkeley, invites applications for a pool of qualified instructors to teach on-site and online courses in UX and UI Design and UX Research.
UC Berkeley Extension seeks dynamic instructors with a commitment to professional and continuing education in UX and UI Design to lead multiple courses each year. The pool will remain in place for one calendar year; those interested in remaining in the pool beyond the advertised final closing date must reapply. The number of these positions varies from semester to semester, depending on the needs of the department.
Courses are offered on-site in San Francisco and online in asynchronous and live online synchronous formats via Canvas and Zoom. Most on-site and live online courses are offered in the evening and on the weekend (Pacific Time).
We are seeking qualified applicants who possess current subject matter expertise and/or teaching knowledge in the following subjects. Refer to a complete list of courses on our website
User Experience (UX) Design:
User Interface (UI) Design:
- Agile and Lean UX
- Emotional Design
- Service Design
- UX Accessibility
- UX Content Strategy
- UX Design Thinking
- UX for Emerging Technologies AR, VR, MR and AI
- UX Information Architecture
- UX Mobile and Tablet Design
- UX Strategy
- UX Usability Testing
User Research Methods:
- UI Design Patterns
- UI Diagramming and Prototyping
- UI Information Design
- UI Interaction Design
- UI Micro-interactions
- UI User-Centered Design for Data Visualization
- UI Visual Design Principles
- UI Voice Design (chatbots)
- UX-UI Design Portfolio
Other UX/UI Design Related Topics
- Qualitative User Research
- Quantitative User Research
- User Research: Heuristic Evaluations
- User Research: User Testing
- User Research: UX Analytics and Metrics
(please specify in your cover letter)
Instructor duties include but are not limited to:
- Complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Berkeley.
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: updating and submitting syllabi using approved syllabus template; signing semester contract(s); communicating required texts and materials; communicating classroom technology and support needs.
- Make appropriate adjustments to continually improve the syllabus, curriculum and course materials. May be based upon programmatic and/or student feedback.
- Prepare and deliver course materials, lectures/presentations, and design learning assessments.
- Design interactive and motivational class activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning.
- Stay current within the subject, discipline or field of practice.
- Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum.
- Utilize course support platforms, including the Canvas Learning Management System and Zoom Pro (as applicable).
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline/explain the grading policies for the course.
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner.
- Employ culturally competent and inclusive teaching methodologies in the classroom (including teaching non-native speakers and/or students with academic letters of accommodations for learning disabilities).
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes and assign grades.
- Post final student grades to the transcript system within two weeks of course completion.
- Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with the Program Director as needed.
- Retain student records according to University policies.
Access to UC Berkeley library stacks and online resources, free and discounted software, and professional development through LinkedIn Learning. Workers compensation and general liability insurance coverage, Medicare contributions, mandatory Safe Harbor Defined Contribution Plan contributions (in lieu of Social Security), and voluntary 403b plan.
To apply, visit https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF02961