The School of Art and Design at Northern Illinois University (NIU) invites applications for one tenure-track position in the area of Time Arts, at the rank of Assistant Professor, beginning Fall 2020.
NIU, located 65 miles west from Chicago, is a comprehensive teaching and research-based institution with close to 17,000 currently enrolled students. The main campus is located in DeKalb, 65 miles west of Chicago’s "Loop" and 40 miles southeast of Rockford. In addition to the main campus, NIU has three education centers in Hoffman Estates, Rockford, and Naperville. DeKalb/Sycamore, with a population of about 50,000, is a modern paradox, a rural/urban community. It is simultaneously recognized for its manufacturing and rich farmlands. The site of the first manufacture of barbed wire and the development of hybrid seed corn are evidence of its diversified history. The blend of industry and agriculture, coupled with the cultural and recreational facilities of the university and supplemented by easy access to Chicago and Rockford, provide an enjoyable environment in which to live.
The Time Arts program at NIU integrates current and emerging digital media processes, with course work comprising areas of animation, video art, audio art, and interactive art.
The Assistant Professor, Time Arts is expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses that emphasize sound, video and digital media.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses emphasizing sound, video and digital media.
- Perform professional service for the Division of Design and Media Arts and the university.
- Assist with management of time arts area.
- Participate in the assessment of student work, program and curricular development.
- Maintain an ongoing record of research and artistry.