Executive Director of the Barry R. Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema
Job ID: 20026
Location: Brooklyn College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Brooklyn College, a distinguished senior college within the City University of New York (CUNY) system, is seeking a seasoned cinema professional with extensive leadership experience to become the Executive Director of the Barry R. Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema, located at Steiner Studios, part of the Brooklyn Navy Yard redevelopment project. The Executive Director reports to the Dean of the School of Visual, Media & Performing Arts (SVMPA).
The Barry R. Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema is the only film school in America to be built on a working film lot. Feirstein is housed at Steiner Studios in Brooklyn, one of the largest soundstage complexes on the East Coast and home to many movies and TV productions. Feirstein is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, and the cultivation of new and emerging voices in cinema. It is housed in a brand-new 68,000-square-foot facility, purpose-built for a 21st-century film school. Its production and post-production environment offers state-of-the-art workspaces, studios, stages and equipment, affording students the opportunity to create in a world class professional setting.
The curriculum of the graduate school focuses on the art and craft of cinema, demonstrated employment growth areas that prepare students for today’s jobs and provide them with the tools to create the careers of tomorrow. Degree programs include a Master of Fine Arts in Digital Animation and Visual Effects, Cinematography, Directing, Media Scoring, Post-Production, Producing, Screenwriting, Sonic Arts, and a Master of Arts in Screen Studies. These graduate degree programs are delivered in a collaborative instructional model that mirrors real world professional filmmaking.
The School opened in the fall 2015 and graduated its inaugural class in May 2018.
The Executive Director of Feirstein reports to the Dean of the SVMPAand works collaboratively with the department chair, chairs in the SVMPA and all members of the larger academic community to realize the goals of the Feirstein School, the SVMPA, and the College.
The main responsibilities of the Executive Director are as follows:
- Lead the Feirstein School in building a compelling vision that will enhance it as a world-class public graduate school of cinema
- Foster collaborative relationships among the graduate cinema department, the SVPMA and other units within Brooklyn College
- Conduct long-and short-term strategic planning for the School in collaboration with the Feirstein faculty and Dean of the SVMPA and aligned with the College’s Strategic Plan
- Develop and execute an aggressive fundraising plan in collaboration with the Brooklyn College Office of Institutional Advancement
- Develop a strong, cooperative relationship with Steiner Studios
- Convene, chair and work collaboratively with the Feirstein School’s Advisory Board; expand the membership and diversity of the Board in collaboration with the Dean
- Represent the Feirstein School to external colleagues and constituents, while collaborating effectively with colleagues at the SVMPA and College
- Oversee student and staff recruitment
- Supervise all non-faculty staff
- Manage marketing
- Develop supportive relationships with external constituents-corporate, government, and individual
- Recruit Visiting Filmmakers, Industry Professionals, and initiate programs in collaboration with the faculty to enrich the student educational experience
- Any other appropriate responsibilities, as determined by the Dean and Provost
This position is in CUNY’s Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and eight years’ related experience.
- Relevant graduate degree
- Extensive experience in the film industry, including an understanding of current and future trends in American film/media as well as an interest in global film/media;
- 7 years of professional leadership experience
- Experience managing budgets and personnel
- Successful track-record in fundraising
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially with all stakeholders
- Team player with the ability to build and develop teams
- Demonstrated commitments to diversity and inclusion
- Substantial experience in higher education administration
- Demonstrated ability to network with and attract support from external constituents, corporate sponsors, and individual donors
- Experience with international cinema programs, institutes, and film festivals
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit https://cuny.jobs/brooklyn-college/new-jobs/ and click on the position. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Applicants should upload the following in .doc or pdf format:
Please send a cover letter that sets forth your interest and qualifications for the position, an up-to-date resume, and the names and contact information (phone and email) for five professional references. References will not be contacted without prior notification.
March 11, 2019
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.