The Lamar Dodd School of Art at the University of Georgia invites applicants for a permanent faculty position in graphic/visual communication design who will teach and serve as coordinator for various pre-professional development initiatives for students. The Academic Professional position is a permanent, non-tenure track faculty rank eligible for promotion, with 12-month appointment and anticipated start date of August 2023.
The ideal candidate is an established graphic design professional who can bring relevant industry knowledge and experience to the classroom. The faculty member’s responsibilities will be split between instruction and graphic design area program management related to student career preparation such as:
- Establishing and overseeing an (outward facing) design studio in which students collaborate and engage with clients and community organizations in real-world projects and practical learning.
- Connecting students with and supervising internship experiences.
- (Pre)professional counseling and academic advising.
- Collaborating with colleagues in curricular and program development, and in shaping the future of a robust, high-demand graphic design program
Typical teaching load will be two courses per term.
- A terminal degree (i.e., MFA, MGD, MDes, M.Arch or PhD) in graphic design/visual communication design or a related field.
Candidates with a non-terminal degree must document exceptional accomplishments in the field of graphic design/visual communication (or in their respective field) and be approved for a terminal degree exception before hire.
Ideal Candidates will show the following:
- Record of engagement in contemporary graphic design practice or emerging media adjacent to visual communication design
- Evidence of successful graphic design instruction or mentoring
- Proficiency and fluency with relevant technology, and both digital and analog tools
- Practice and/or pedagogical focus in any of the following areas a plus: dynamic media and digital platforms, UX/UI design; emergent technologies; design strategy, history; service design, or; data visualization
To ensure full consideration, apply by January 8, 2022. Review will continue until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted through the University of Georgia, UGAJobs website:
Complete applications will include the following supporting documents:
- Cover Letter
- List of 3–5 references with contact information
- Research Portfolio: up to 10 examples of recent design projects (pdf)
- Teaching Portfolio with sample course materials & up to 10 examples of student or mentee work with brief project description (pdf)
Questions and other inquiries should be directed to LeeAnne Krause, at email@example.com.
The Lamar Dodd School of Art
The Graphic Design program is a high-demand, selective undergraduate major in the Lamar Dodd School of Art within the Franklin College of Arts & Sciences.
Housed within a tier one research university, the Lamar Dodd School of Art is a comprehensive, nationally-ranked art school administering undergraduate and graduate programs in areas of studio art, design, art education, and art history.
Founded in 1937, the School is one of the largest university art programs in the nation, with more than 1100 art majors and minors across 13 areas of undergraduate and graduate study. The accomplished faculty promote an atmosphere of inclusiveness, experimentation, innovation, creative inquiry, and scholarship.
The School attracts highly qualified and talented students who seek to study art at a major research university. The School is housed in five different facilities on campus, including a recently completed downtown contemporary art gallery. Its $40M main building opened in fall 2008 and is located next to the Georgia Museum of Art, the School of Music, and the Performing Arts Center. (http://art.uga.edu)
About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA) is the first state-chartered university in the U.S. It is a comprehensive land and sea grant university located in Athens, Georgia, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta. UGA, the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/), is currently ranked among the top 15 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.
For more info about the Lamar Dodd School of Art, UGA, Georgia and Athens, visit:
art.uga.edu, www.uga.edu, www.visitathensga.com and www.exploregeorgia.org.