Search for University Jobs in Fine Arts
Part-Time Instructor Pool UX/UI Design UC Berkeley Extension
University of California Berkeley
January 8th, 2020
Last review date:
Friday, Feb 7, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Thursday, Dec 31, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Description Job Type
Academic - Temporary, Part-Time, Non-Tenure Track
UC Berkeley Extension, the professional and continuing education division at the University of California, Berkeley, invites applications for a pool of qualified, temporary, part-time instructors to teach on-site and online courses in UX and UI Design.
UC Berkeley Extension seeks dynamic part-time instructors with a commitment to professional and continuing education in UX and UI Design to lead multiple courses each year. The pool will remain in place for one calendar year; those interested in remaining in the pool beyond December 31, 2020 must reapply. Screening of applicants begins immediately and will continue as needed; some appointments may begin as early as the Spring 2020 semester. The number of these temporary, part-time, non-tenure track, academic positions varies from semester to semester, depending on the needs of the department. Appointments are offered on a course-by-course basis, and appointment length is based upon course section schedule(s). Appointments may be renewable based on need, funding, and performance.
Courses are offered online and on-site in San Francisco. Most on-site courses are offered in the evening and on the weekend.
We are seeking qualified applicants who possess current subject matter expertise and/or teaching knowledge in the following subjects:
User Experience (UX) Design:
User Interface (UI) Design:
- Agile and Lean UX
- Emotional Design
- Service Design
- UX Accessibility
- UX Content Strategy
- UX Design Thinking
- UX for Emerging Technologies AR, VR, MR and AI
- UX Information Architecture
- UX Mobile and Tablet Design
- UX Strategy
- UX Usability Testing
- UX Voice Design
User Research Methods:
- UI Design Patterns
- UI Diagramming and Prototyping
- UI Information Design
- UI Interaction Design
- UI Micro-interactions
- UI User-Centered Design for Data Visualization
- UI Visual Design Principles
- UI Web Design with HTML5/CSS3
- UX-UI Design Portfolio
Other UX/UI Design Related Topics
- Qualitative User Research
- Quantitative User Research
- User Research: Heuristic Evaluations
- User Research: User Testing
- User Research: UX Analytics and Metrics
(specify in your cover letter)
(indicate whether you have teaching experience in the following instruction methods):
Instructor duties include but are not limited to:
- Classroom Teaching, Coaching or Training
- Online Teaching
- Online Curriculum Writer/Designer
- Complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Berkeley.
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: updating and submitting syllabi using approved syllabus template; signing semester contract(s); communicating required texts and materials; communicating classroom technology and support needs.
- Make appropriate adjustments to continually improve the syllabus, curriculum and course materials. May be based upon programmatic and/or student feedback.
- Prepare and deliver course materials and design learning assessments.
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning.
- Stay current within the subject, discipline or field of practice.
- Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum.
- Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform.
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline/explain the grading policies for the course.
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner (within 48 hours).
- Employ culturally competent and inclusive teaching methodologies in the classroom (including teaching non-native speakers and/or students with academic letters of accommodations for learning disabilities).
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes and assign grades.
- Post final student grades to the transcript system within two weeks of course completion.
- Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director as needed.
- May be appointed by department to serve as a subject matter expert to write online course curriculum and content. Collaborate with academic department and instructional designer(s) on project deliverables and deadlines, including the online course design/roadmap, learning strategies/activities, and media production/recordings. May develop and provide raw original content for the following: the online course syllabus, learning objectives, lecture segments and scripts, reading assignments, assessments/assignments, discussion prompts, course midterm exam(s) or project(s), final exam(s) or project(s), student instructions, etc.
- Retain student records according to University policies.
Basic Qualifications (at time of application):
- Advanced degree required.
Additional Qualifications (by the start date of the position):
- For those who are not US citizens or permanent residents, a legal permit that allows work in the United States (such as a US visa that allows employment) is required by the start date of the position. Due to the part-time, temporary nature of instructor positions, UC Berkeley Extension is unable to sponsor visa/work permits.
- 3 or more years of professional work experience in UX design, web design or development, product design or development, graphic design, interaction design, human computer interaction, human ergonomics, cognitive science, psychology or sociology.
- Excellent research skills.
- Experience teaching in a college/university environment.
- Corporate teaching, coaching or training experience.
- Experience in course development, including creating original academic content such as syllabi, learning objectives, lectures/presentations/scripts, learning activities, assignments, assessments, exams, and quizzes.
- Experience teaching and/or developing online courses.
- Icon design and pixel-level design.
- Understanding of bit-depth, pixel-density and resolution issues.
- Graphic user interface (GUI) screen layout and composition.
- Experience in User Research Methods (quantitative/qualitative).
- Knowledge of existing and new technologies and constraints.
- Experience writing technical content and project specs.
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Effective verbal/written communication and presentation skills (English).
- Ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and work within a team environment.
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn): Sketch, Principle, Figma, InVision, UXPin, Adobe XD, Photoshop, HTML5 and CSS3.
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) instructional and other technology, such as: Learning Management Systems (Canvas, Panapto, Angel, Blackboard, Moodle, EdX, etc.); iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote); Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.); Google Home and Office tools (docs, sheets, slides, etc.); online file sharing (e.g., Google drive, Box, Dropbox, etc.); Camtasia; Online tele/video conferencing tools (e.g., Zoom, Google Hangouts, Skype, Adobe Connect, etc.); online shared calendars (e.g., Google calendar, Outlook, etc.).
For Online Curriculum Writers/Designers only:
- Ability to commit time to approximately 15-20 hours a week over 6-8 months and availability for occasional in-person meetings and recording sessions in Berkeley, CA and phone/video conferences M-F between 9am-5pm Pacific Standard Time (PST).
- Experience and/or comfort with video and audio recording, including voice overs for videos and/or PowerPoint presentations.
- Sketch story boards to produce animations.
The Campus Community
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
Workers compensation and general liability insurance coverage, Medicare contributions, mandatory Safe Harbor Defined Contribution Plan contributions (in lieu of Social Security), and voluntary 403b plan.
Go to https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF02463
Please provide three names of references (direct supervisors or managers only) along with contact information at time of application. References will only be solicited for finalists. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (https://apo.berkeley.edu/ucb-confidentiality-policy
) prior to submitting their letters.
Contact Carol Sirney at email@example.com
for further information. For more information about UC Berkeley Extension, please visit our website at: https://extension.berkeley.edu/
Requirements Document requirements
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter - In your cover letter, please stipulate: 1) which specialization(s) you are applying for; 2) how your training and qualifications prepare you to teach within your specialization(s); 3) any teaching, training or coaching experience you may have; and 4) provide a website link to your online UX/UI portfolio.
- 3 required (contact information only)
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |