A+D Department Head – 00000361
NC State University
College of Design/ Art + Design
The Department of Art + Design in the College of Design at NC State University invites applicants to join us to serve as the Head of the Department. We are looking for candidates who align their life and work values, exercise their strengths, learn quickly, and seek to bring out the best in others.
The successful candidate for this position will embody the spirit of experimentation, interdisciplinary and collaboration at the heart of the department; value the balance between the rich history of the department and the change necessary for innovative curriculum; embrace new frontiers of art and design; lead and collaborate with faculty on curriculum development and departmental strategies and programs; represent and advocate for the department at the College and University level; seek out opportunities for college and university level collaborations; demonstrate nimble leadership; value a diversity of research, scholarship, and artistic expression; and support dissemination of faculty scholarship.
General Responsibilities will include:
- Leadership in developing the departmental vision;
- Cultivating relationships with alumni and professional groups;
- Strong managerial skills, a collegial leadership style, and the ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and other stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to manage budget priorities to balance a diverse array of needs within the Department;
- Serve as senior faculty advisor to students, directing them in studies and assisting them in forming faculty partnerships and professional development where appropriate;
- Fulfilling a part-time teaching responsibility of approximately six (6) credit-hours per year;
- Initiate partnerships for sponsored studios;
- Overseeing faculty assignments related to departmental courses;
- Overseeing curricular matters related to the program, including ongoing curriculum development, course scheduling, and long-range planning;
- Leading academic unit specific review procedures;
- Serving as the academic unit representative to the College Administrative Council;
- Conducting annual reviews and faculty mentorship for reappointment, promotion, and tenure.
The roles of the Academic Unit Head and the Dean are mutually supportive. Each must work to assist the other to achieve the aspirations that are brought into the position. Personal communication between the two individuals is absolutely necessary in order to nurture and sponsor new ideas as well as to secure what is working well within the program. The Dean depends on the Academic Unit Head to act as a senior advisor for College policy while also expecting that the Academic Unit Head will implement policy established by the Dean or the related College Administrative Council.
Special Instructions: Please apply using the following link: http://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/123677. In addition to a fully completed application, applicants should include a cover letter, C.V., and statements of research and teaching interests. Applicants should include names and contact information for three references.
Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2019. For questions about this position, please contact Tsailu Liu (email@example.com) or 919.515.8340.