The position of Dance Instructor teaches classes in Dance within the Theatre and Dance Programs.
The faculty member conducts college courses for Theatre and Dance students using a variety of appropriate teaching methods; meets all scheduled classes prepared to instruct; prepares teaching syllabi for courses of study; prepares materials to adequately evaluate student progress; reports midterm and final grades when appropriate; maintains accurate and adequate records; establishes regular office hours for student consultation.
The faculty member performs other related duties as assigned, which duties include but are not necessarily limited to participating in faculty meetings; providing recommendations for preparation of departmental or divisional budgets; participating in the development of departmental curricula; and adhering to all institutional policies.
The faculty member keeps up with developments in the field of Dance by reading current literature, communicating with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
Additional departmental or school assignments may be established where appropriate.
- Teach freshman and sophomore level course/courses in Ballet and Modern Dance with possible assignments in Jazz, Tap, Musical Theatre, and/or Composition.
- Choreography for musical theatre performances
- Prepare syllabi and schedules for each course
- Develop lesson plans
- Procure appropriate materials needed for course instruction
- Reporting duties including student grade data
- Utilize active learning strategies to assist the learner in meeting the course objectives
- Assist in recruitment, engage in creative, scholarly activities and service appropriate for a community college faculty member
- Maintain office hours, attend faculty and school meetings, serve on committees as requested and keep accurate records
- Participate in all required meetings and events as requested by the department or administration