Northern Illinois University (NIU) seeks a permanent Director to lead the students, faculty and staff of the School of Theatre and Dance. We seek candidates who possess demonstrated experience with increasing responsibilities in administrative leadership and outstanding artistic and/or scholarly contributions to guide a community of scholar/artists. Successful candidates will be committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate instruction. We seek candidates deeply committed to our continued investment in diversity and belonging, including in the recruiting and retaining of students, faculty hiring, and curriculum.
The Director serves as the administrative head of the School with oversight of faculty (including assigning faculty workload), staff, curriculum, accreditations, budget, and strategic direction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide visionary and inspiring leadership
- Oversee and offer guidance on the production season selection process
- Keep accreditation current
- Develop a yearly production budget in consultation with faculty and production staff
- Develop and implement a strategic undergraduate and graduate recruitment plan
- Seek out and hire outside guest artists who reflect the artistic and educational values of the School
- Actively engage in the School’s creative work
- Support and engage in transdisciplinary initiatives and collaborations across campus and the community
- Advocate for the School in outreach and engagement activities
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with NIU and the surrounding community in collaboration with the College and the NIU Foundation
- Support the School’s vision of diversity, equity, belonging, anti-racism, and social justice as a fundamental value in all aspects of artistic, scholarly, and educational work
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Minimum of three years of organizational leadership experience, or evidence of increasing responsibility within an organization that required decision-making authority.
- Terminal degree or commensurate professional experience to merit appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or higher
- Demonstrated experience in creative work and/or scholarship
- Evidence of teaching at the university level
- Ability to communicate and organize effectively
- Three years experience as artistic or managing director or other lead creative person in a professional and/or academic setting.
- Significant professional theatre or dance experience (union affiliation highly desired). Evidence of increasing responsibility in a leadership position.