Aug 8, 2019
Sep 30, 2019 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Performing Arts at Saint Mary's College is a lively department of music, dance and theatre. Performing ensembles in all three disciplines consist of majors, minors and general students, and have earned prestigious honors in national and international competition. The three tracks are largely autonomous, but do intermingle. The person hired for this position will be responsible for developing and growing a well-established jazz band and sports band. They may also have the opportunity to create ensembles such as a small jazz combo, brass quintet, woodwind quintet or chamber orchestra. Depending on expertise and interest, they could teach Jazz and Blues in America and a selection of music history, theory, and skill-development courses, such as music fundamentals, harmony, ear-training, form and analysis, sight singing, keyboard harmony, orchestration, history courses, private instrumental instruction, music appreciation for non-majors, a develop-your-own-topic' January Term class, and interdisciplinary team-taught courses in the Performing Arts.
Saint Mary's faculty are expected to maintain an active scholarly agenda and demonstrate intellectual growth and significant achievement appropriate to their field. Faculty also contribute to the mission and serve the College and community in many ways, including academic advising, student and community outreach, participation in departmental and College-wide committees, and the development and assessment of the College's Core Curriculum. Faculty are also expected to teach in the College's Core Curriculum, January Term, and Collegiate Seminar programs.
1. Develop and grow an already well-established jazz band and sports band; possibly create other ensembles such as small jazz combo, brass quintet, woodwind quintet or chamber orchestra.
2. Depending on expertise and interest, teach Jazz and Blues in America, and courses from an array of music history, theory, and skill-development courses.
3. Contribute to the Core Curriculum, including signature programs of the College.
Saint Mary's College of California is a private, Catholic, comprehensive and co-educational university that engages students in rigorous critical thinking, promotes social justice, and educates for human fulfillment consistent with its liberal arts, Catholic and Lasallian traditions. The de La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff who value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring Saint Mary's heritage to life. Located on a stunning 420-acre campus in the Moraga Hills outside of San Francisco, Saint Mary's is known for its rigorous liberal arts education and its high quality graduate programs, including business, education, counseling, leadership, and the arts. Saint Mary's has a diverse student body of approximately 4,000 students, and the College's practices and policies reflect a commitment to inclusive excellence and a community in which all are valued, respected and supported.
For more information about Saint Mary's mission and history, see: http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/about-smc/our-mission
1. Ph.D. or D.M.A. degree, completed no later than June 30, 2019.
2. Excellent ensemble directing and recruiting skills
3. Excellent accomplishment as a classical and jazz instrumentalist
4. Engaging and inspiring teaching, one-on-one, in the rehearsal room, and in the classroom.
5. Strong organizational skills with ability to step in to serve effectively at the programmatic and departmental level.
6. Curiosity and interest in dance and theater.
7. The College has been designated a Minority and Hispanic-Serving Institution; many Saint Mary's students are first-generation-to-college. Successful candidates must be able to engage and support students of color, women, and other underrepresented groups, and will be interested in participating in initiatives that aim to increase inclusivity.
Apply online at https://apply.interfolio.com/65524
A cover letter that specifically addresses candidate qualifications and preparation to support the mission of the College
A Curriculum Vitae