Digital Image Processing Specialist (7397U), BAMPFA
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 29, 2019
The mission of the UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive (BAMPFA) is to inspire the imagination and ignite critical dialogue through art, film, and other forms of creative expression. BAMPFA has developed an international reputation for its active and ambitious exhibition programs, as well as for the quality of its art and film collections and research resources. BAMPFA is an institution with a stellar history and an exciting future. For more information, visit our website bampfa.org
- Assists fine art photographer in creating and processing new digital images of artworks, maintaining accurate color management and ensuring fidelity of images using Adobe Photoshop.
- Assists with lighting and set-up.
- Creates multiple versions of images, such as with and without color bars.
- Crops images and performs quality control.
- Troubleshoots and solves complex technical problems associated with imaging and color management.
- Processes new and legacy images following BAMPFA's image management protocols.
- Creates or verifies filenames and adds accurate descriptive and administrative metadata.
- Works with curators and registrars to identify legacy images and improve their metadata.
- Ingests content into Piction, the BAMPFA digital asset management system.
- Utilizes various computer applications including CollectionSpace for BAMPFA's art collection database and Piction for asset management in day-to-day work associated with asset and workflow management.
- Refines images for publication and presentation as needed by standardizing borders, silhouetting and using other techniques.
- Collaborates with project staff to help determine best practices, benchmarks, and project workflows.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Participates in administrative policy and program planning and development.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Experience assisting with digital photography and related professional imaging and processing work in an art museum environment, OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop including color and tonal correction, masking and compositing, layers, paths, actions, and non-destructive workflow.
- Familiarity with file transfer methods such as FTP.
- Familiarity with digital asset management systems and procedures.
- Familiarity with metadata standards, processes, and workflows.
- Familiarity with relational database software.
- Excellent aptitude for learning new computer tools and systems.
- Attention to detail and accuracy and outstanding organizational skills.
- Extremely high visual acuity and color perception.
- Strong computer skills in Mac environment.
- Familiarity with art cataloging.
- Ability to work in a team to achieve shared goals.
- Experience in art handling
- Experience using Piction and/or CollectionSpace desirable
- Training and/or experience relevant to digital image capture and processing of art objects, as well as metadata entry and standards.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay will be $24.14.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 12-month, Contract appointment at 50% time/20-hours per week. This position does offer the full UC Benefits package. For more information on what is available with our full benefits package, please visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/eligibility/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2121&PostingSeq=1