The Cutter/Draper cuts and drapes 4 main stage productions, workshops, 1 studio show; Teach/Mentor cutting and draping skills, basic/advanced sewing skills, costume shop machinery (e.g.- homemaker and industrial sewing machines, overlock machine, and industrial iron), and sewing safety to graduate/undergraduate student workers.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Cutter/Draper is a highly skilled position that: creates custom clothing patterns for each designed costume; utilizes advanced flat patterning and draping skillsets; supervises graduate/undergraduate costume technicians; oversees alterations of non-built costumes; runs actor fittings; works intimately with the costume designers and the costume shop manager to maintain shop safety and costume quality.
- Supervision of costume technicians.
- Pattern making and fabric draping.
- Supervision of first hands.
- Teach/Mentor Graduate Assistants and Graduate/ Undergraduate student workers.
- Oversee costume fittings, adjustments, and alterations.
- Maintain costume quality and industry standard shop safety.
- Supervise shop when Costume Shop Manager is not present.
- Perform additional duties and assist with special projects as assigned.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Undergraduate B.A. or B.S. in Theatre or fashion with emphasis in cutting and draping.
- 3-5 years in a costume shop as cutter/draper.
- Advanced cutting and draping techniques.
- Sewing techniques (hand and machine).
- Fabric dyeing and craft construction. Costume history.
- Hand sewing tools (seam rippers, needles, etc.).
- Organizing skills, Microsoft Word and Excel programs, calendaring/scheduling skills, deadline adherence, must be able to communicate with many different types of personalities.
- Sewing machines (homemaker and
- Overlock machines
- Steam irons
- Fabric scissors
Daytime work hours (primary), nights and weekends as assigned.
Must be able: to lift and physically move up to 30 lbs. bags of clothing, stand for 5-7 hours a day, withstand finger pricks from pinning clothing to be sewn, sit and sew for 5-7 hours a day if needed.
Special Message to Applicants
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
Commensurate with experience.
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/14202
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.