The School of Arts and Social Sciences
The School of Arts and Social Sciences, established in May 2008, is one of the premier humanities and social science research and teaching institutions in Malaysia. The School offers studies at diploma, undergraduate, honours and postgraduate levels. It oversees three undergraduate degree programmes: Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences; Bachelor of Digital Media and Communication; and Bachelor of Arts (Honours). In addition, the School offers a coursework Master in Communications and Media Studies as well as Master and Doctoral degrees by research. The School is also responsible for the Diploma of Higher Education Studies (DHES), an alternative pathway into selected undergraduate degrees at Monash University Malaysia.
Academic staff within the School hail from a range of disciplinary backgrounds: Anthropology, Communication and Media Studies, Education, Film, Television and Screen Studies, Gender Studies, Geography, History, International Relations, International Political Economy, Literary Studies, Political Science, and Religious Studies. These disciplinary strengths underpin both the education (teaching) focus of the School as well as its research. The School harbours a large number of Southeast Asia experts, and has built a reputation around its core research strength, "Social Transformation in Southeast Asia", with research activity taking place within four broad clusters: Communication, Media and Policy; Culture, Religion and Gender; Literature, Cinema and Society; and Politics, Development and Governance.
For further information: https://www.monash.edu.my/sass
Academic is expected to make significant contributions to the teaching effort of a department, school, faculty or other organisational unit or an interdisciplinary area. An academic at this level is also expected to play a major role in scholarship, research, and/or professional activities.
The appointee is expected to contribute to ongoing curriculum development, supervise Honours and postgraduate students, and conduct and produce high-quality research in Screen Studies and/or cognate fields. Experience in coordinating large-scale undergraduate programs is highly desirable. Evidence of successful grant applications with publication outcomes and/or collaborative/multi-disciplinary research will be an added advantage. The appointee ideally would have a research focus broadly compatible with the research strength of the school on Southeast Asia.
Specific duties required may include:
- The conduct of tutorials, practical classes, demonstrations, workshops, student field excursions, and other learning sessions
- Initiation and development of subject material
- Course coordination
- The preparation and delivery of lectures and seminars
- Supervision of major honours or postgraduate research projects
- Supervision of the program of study of honours students and of postgraduate students engaged in course work
- The conduct of research
- Significant role in research projects including, where appropriate, leadership of a research team
- Involvement in professional activity
- Consultation with students
- Broad administrative functions
- Marking and assessment
- Attendance at departmental, school and/or faculty meetings and a major role in planning or committee work
- a PhD in the relevant discipline area or equivalent accreditation and standing and/or recognised significant experience in the relevant discipline area.
- Possess a high level of interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team across both the education and service sectors
- Demonstrated publication record in high-quality refereed journals, and books.
- Demonstrated ability in undertaking outstanding research and leading a research team and project
- Proven record of obtaining significant external grants for research
- Demonstrated record of successfully supervising postgraduate research students
- Demonstrated experience in curriculum and subject material development
- Ability to work positively and cooperatively with students, internal and external teams and external organisations
- Demonstrated strong record of teaching experience in a tertiary environment including course coordination
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, actively engage and educate a given audience
- Proven ability, commitment and passion for engaging in scholarly and research activities
- A demonstrated capacity to work in a collegiate manner with other staff in the workplace
Kindly include a cover letter tthat includes a brief statement of the applicant’s suitability
Thursday 17 September 2020
Monash University is Australia’s largest university, and a member of the prestigious Group of Eight research intensive universities. In the most recent QS World University Rankings, Monash rated 55 in the world.
Monash is a global university. In addition to its four Australian campuses, it has a comprehensive campus in Malaysia and centres for graduate education in China and India. It also has a teaching and conference centre in Italy. A unique alliance with the University of Warwick (UK) sits alongside an array of international collaborations with leading universities and corporations around the world, expanding the University’s global network.
Monash University Malaysia is Monash’s third largest campus, with over 8000 students and 900 staff. We are a comprehensive campus offering degrees in business, engineering, medicine, science, information technology, pharmacy, social science and humanities across seven Schools. We are rated among the very best among universities in Malaysia, and the quality of our research output positions us among the very best universities in Southeast Asia.
Monash University Malaysia provides Monash University with a platform for scholarly engagement with the dynamic Southeast Asia region. We are located in greater Kuala Lumpur, in the Klang Valley, one of the region’s industrial hotspots. We sit in the heart of the rapidly developing economic corridor linking Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and beyond. Our education and research is oriented towards deep engagement with this dynamic social and industrial landscape.
In 2018, we celebrated our twentieth anniversary in Malaysia. Since our establishment in 1998 we have produced more than 16,800 graduates from more than 78 countries. We provide a diverse and inclusive scholarly environment.
In 2017, Monash Malaysia was awarded a Six Star SETARA rating by the Malaysian Ministry of Education.
This places us in the very top "outstanding" cohort of Malaysian Universities.
For further information see www.monash.edu.my.