The Digital Media & Design Department in the School of Fine Arts at the University of Connecticut (UConn) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin in Fall 2021. The position will have a focus on Digital Media Business Strategies including digital content marketing and creative production/distribution. Acknowledging a lack of diversity in digital media industries, DMD embraces an inclusive environment and is particularly interested in receiving applications from members of underrepresented and diverse groups.
The Digital Media & Design (DMD) Department is a uniquely interdisciplinary academic unit led by faculty from the fine arts, business, STEM, and humanities fields. Established in 2013, this innovative and evolving department currently has 25 full-time faculty members, 320 undergraduate and 18 graduate students (MFA and MA) and offers BFA and BA degrees in the following concentrations: Digital Film/Video Production (BFA), 3D Animation (BFA), Motion Design & Animation (BFA), Game Design (BFA), Web/Interactive Media Design (BFA), Digital Culture, Learning, & Advocacy (BA), and Digital Media Business Strategies (BA).
All of our concentrations place a strong emphasis on collaboration and experiential learning, best preparing our students for the challenges they may face when working in industry. The department has established strong working partnerships with large and small companies, start-ups, public institutions, and charitable nonprofits, giving students hands-on, real-world opportunities that benefit the creative economy of the state.
Founded in 1881, the UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant institution and member of the Space Grant Consortium. It is the state’s flagship institution of higher education and includes a main campus in Storrs, CT, four regional campuses throughout the state, and 13 Schools and Colleges, including a Law School in Hartford, and Medical and Dental Schools at the UConn Health campus in Farmington. The University has approximately 10,000 faculty and staff and 32,000 students, including nearly 24,000 undergraduates and over 8,000 graduate and professional students. UConn is a Carnegie Foundation R1 (highest research activity) institution, among the top 25 public universities in the nation. Through research, teaching, service, and outreach, UConn embraces diversity and cultivates leadership, integrity, and engaged citizenship in its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. UConn promotes the health and well-being of citizens by enhancing the social, economic, cultural, and natural environments of the state and beyond. The University serves as a beacon of academic and research excellence as well as a center for innovation and social service to communities. UConn is a leader in many scholarly, research, and innovation areas. Today, the path forward includes exciting opportunities and notable challenges. Record numbers of undergraduate applications and support for student success have enabled the University to become extraordinarily selective.
The UConn Storrs campus is located in a beautiful area of New England, with a moderate cost of living and proximity to major cultural, recreational, and urban centers of the Northeast. The University community provides residents with a rich diversity of cultural, artistic, athletic, and historic experiences. UConn is ranked as the top public university in New England, and among the top 25 public universities nationwide.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The selected candidate will teach undergraduate and graduate-level classes and develop new courses in: digital content marketing, digital consumer behavior, online advertising, and creative production/distribution, as well as courses related to our other concentrations. Courses are designed to be experiential in nature, providing students with hands-on experience in developing strategies and plans and in creating digital communications assets for clients. S/he will serve as an advisor to students in the Digital Media Business Strategies concentration. Excellent communication skills and a collaborative predisposition are essential. The incumbent will also support faculty collaborations conducted through the department and external client relations for purposes of business communications, marketing, branding, advertising, and entertainment. The successful candidate will be expected to maintain an active creative/academic research agenda that indicates a high likelihood of future success at the national and international levels consistent with a tenure-track position.
The position has a 2/3 teaching load, comprised of five 3-credit courses per year – at all levels from freshman to graduate courses – as well as possible independent studies and supervised internships. The candidate is also expected to participate in service activities for the Department, College, and University.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to research and scholarship through: high-quality publications, presentations at prominent national and international academic conferences, extramural funding, impact as measured through citations, exhibitions, festivals, and/or national recognition as through honorific awards. In the area of teaching, a successful candidate will share a deep commitment to: effective instruction at the undergraduate and graduate levels, development of innovative courses, and mentoring of students in research, outreach, and professional development. Successful candidates will also be expected to broaden participation among members of under-represented groups; demonstrate through their research, teaching, and/or public engagement the richness of diversity in the learning experience; integrate multicultural experiences into instructional methods and research tools; demonstrate leadership in developing pedagogical techniques designed to meet the needs of diverse learning styles and intellectual interests.
- Terminal Degree (Ph.D. or M.F.A.) in business, communications, design, film, digital media, or other appropriate fields. Equivalent foreign degrees are acceptable.
- Demonstrated teaching experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in brand management and integrating digital channels (websites, social media, video, email, apps, etc.) in the marketing of products and services for businesses.
- Evidence of industry experience in the design, development, and implementation of marketing plans for a product or suite of services.
- Demonstrated understanding of design principles, branding, and short-form video.
- At least three years of distinguished teaching and mentoring at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Experience with multicultural or cross-cultural marketing strategies for engaging diverse populations and communities.
- Demonstrated professional/commercial experience with innovative digital business strategies
- Knowledge of various forms of digital media (e.g., film production, animation, motion graphics, web design, game design, etc.) and an interest in social media and how it challenges the traditional way that an audience engages with visual content.
- Functional knowledge/usage of creative and digital applications such as Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere), and Google Analytics, or their equivalents.
- Evidence of a deep commitment to contribute through research, teaching, and/or public engagement to the diversity and excellence of the learning experience.
This is a full-time, 9-month, tenure-track appointment with a start date of August 23, 2021. The successful candidate’s primary appointment will be at the Storrs campus with the possibility of travel to regional campuses on occasion and/or online instruction. Faculty may also be asked to teach at one of UConn’s regional campuses as part of their ordinary workload. Salary is competitive and based on background, qualifications, and professional experience.
Please apply online to Academic Jobs Online https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18021 and submit the following application materials:
- A cover letter specifically addressing your credentials relative to the minimum and preferred qualifications listed above,
- A complete curriculum vitae,
- A digital portfolio of scholarly and/or creative research and 3-5 student work samples, if available,
- A statement of teaching philosophy,
- A one to two-page research/scholarship statement,
- A one-page commitment to diversity and inclusion statement,
- Names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin on February 28, 2021 and will continue until filled. If you have questions related to the search, please send a detailed inquiry to Stacy Webb, Administrative Assistant for the Department of Digital Media & Design, at email@example.com with #494982 DIGITAL MEDIA BUSINESS STRATEGIES SEARCH in the subject line.
For more information regarding the Department of Digital Media & Design, visit http://dmd.uconn.edu.
At the University of Connecticut, our commitment to excellence is complemented by our commitment to building a culturally diverse community.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This position will be filled subject the budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.