The Department of Art and Media conducts research and artistic activities across a broad range of subjects and themes. These include Art Education, Contemporary Art, Curating, Game Design, New Media, Photography, Visual Communication Design, and Visual Culture. The department provides education in Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral levels. The department was formed in 2022 as a merger of two departments which are both recognized internationally for high-quality artistic outputs, media productions and art pedagogical activities, scholarship, and research. The Department of Art and Media, with approximately 800 students and over 100 staff members, is the biggest department in the School of Arts, Design and Architecture.
Lecturer in interactive media
Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture (Aalto ARTS) is a Nordic leader in higher education for design, fashion, game design, media, architecture, film, art education and fine art. We are a diverse community of professionals, with great appreciation for creativity and responsibility. We produce world-class research and educate front-line professionals and visionaries for established, changing and emerging fields. Our new campus in Espoo, in the greater Helsinki area of Finland, makes working together among and across disciplines easier than ever before. We are tackling societal grand challenges head-on and striving towards a sustainable, just society and environment.
We are now seeking a Lecturer in Interactive Media
to support the teaching and research activities of the Department of Art and Media at Aalto ARTS. The successful candidate will have a strong enthusiasm for teaching and will contribute to the development of our curriculum in interactive and emergent media, games, new media art, and other related fields.
The position is to be filled on any of the three levels on Aalto University’s lecturer track: University Teacher, University Lecturer or Senior University Lecturer. The position is full-time and permanent. More information on the Aalto University Lecturer Career System.
We are hoping to fill the position in early autumn 2023.
Your role and goals
As a Lecturer in Interactive Media, you will be responsible for designing and delivering engaging and innovative courses that combine theory and practice in interactive media. Your teaching will focus on one or more of the following topics: games, playful interaction, new media art and design, interactive storytelling, virtual and augmented reality, and other emerging technologies. The exact courses and topics will be defined in more detail based on the expertise and profile of the selected applicant.
Your colleagues and network
- Design, develop and deliver high-quality courses in interactive media, ensuring that course content remains up-to-date
- Engage and inspire students through creative teaching methods, fostering a positive and inclusive learning environment.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop interdisciplinary projects, research initiatives, and curricular innovations.
- Contribute to the ongoing development and improvement of our curriculum and academic programs.
- Advise, supervise, and evaluate theses.
- Participate in academic and administrative committees and engage in community outreach, networking, and professional development activities.
- Pursue research and artistic activities in interactive media and related fields, with the goal of enhancing the reputation and impact of our institution.
You will be working closely with both the Master’s Programme in Art and Media
and the Bachelor’s Programme in Design
. Specifically, you will contribute to the teaching and curriculum development of the New Media
, Sound in New Media
, and Game Design and Development
majors within the MA studies.
Your experience and ambitions
We expect a successful candidate to have the following competence and motivations:
What we offer
- A Master's degree or higher in a related field.
- A strong record of teaching experience in interactive media or related fields, with a demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching and student learning.
- A solid understanding of current and emerging trends in interactive media, digital design, and related technologies.
- Strong merits in their own artistic, design, and/or research practice in one or more of the following fields: games, new media art, interaction/UX design, interactive storytelling
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, with a commitment to fostering an inclusive and diverse learning environment.
- A strong desire to contribute to the development and growth of our academic programmes and to engage with the broader community.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills for teaching and supervising students in English. Language proficiency in Finnish and/or Swedish is not a requirement but can be considered advantageous to the candidate.
Ready to apply?
- The salary is determined based on the applicant's experience and qualifications.
- Activities of the department are located in the Otaniemi campus of Aalto University in Espoo (Helsinki metropolitan area). Check out our new virtual campus experience: https://virtualtour.aalto.fi/
- Aalto University provides its employees with occupational health care services and retirement benefits. Finland is a healthy and safe living environment, offering many excellent state-subsidized services including affordable day care, free schools and universities, which are consistently ranked among the best in the world. More information about living and working in Finland https://www.aalto.fi/en/careers-at-aalto/for-international-staff
- Culture that inspires and includes everyone. All our work is guided by the values of the university: responsibility, courage, and collaboration. It’s the people that create Aalto, now and in the future. We want to be an open community where equality and inclusion enable curiosity, innovation, collaboration and wellbeing.
If you want to join our community, please submit your application through our recruitment system by May 5, 2023
Aalto University’s employees and visitors should apply for the position via our Workday -> Career -> find internal jobs by using their existing Workday user account.
To apply, please share the following application materials with us in English as PDF files:
- Curriculum Vitae, according to the guidelines by the Finnish National Board on Research Integrity
- Teaching portfolio including teaching merits and approach to teaching compiled according to the instructions by Aalto University (max 10 pages)
- An artistic, design, and/or research portfolio presenting your max. 5 most important projects/productions
- A professional statement describing your teaching, practice, and merits including your vision on current and future developments of the field of interactive media from the perspective of your specific field of expertise. (2- 3 pages)
The Departmental Committee will choose the most suitable applicants to visit the Department of Art and Media and deliver teaching demonstrations and to be interviewed.
If you wish to hear more about the position, you can contact Senior University Lecturer Matti Niinimäki -matti.niinimaki(at)aalto.fi
In recruitment related questions, kindly contact HR Partner Katju Helminen katju.helminen(at)aalto.fi
Aalto University has been awarded the HR Excellence in Research quality label by the European Commission, guaranteeing that we adhere to top quality HR practices in both recruitment and employment relations.
Finland is a great place for living with or without family - it is a safe, politically stable and well-organized Nordic society. Finland is consistently ranked high in quality of life and was just listed again as the happiest country in the world: https://worldhappiness.report/news/happiest-countries-prove-resilient-despite-overlapping-crises/.
For more information about living in Finland: https://www.aalto.fi/en/careers-at-aalto/living-in-finland
More about Aalto University: