Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture invites applications for:
Tenure track or tenured professorship in Industrial Design
The position can be filled on any level from assistant professor to tenured full professor.
The teaching, research and/or creative practice of the professor of industrial design will focus on industrial product design in the multi-disciplinarily spirit of Aalto University. The present and future product design takes place in an environment where products integrate with services; where design tools have become digital and increasingly virtual; where design processes are agile, collaborative and cross-disciplinary; where manufacturing is flexible and distributed; where business is global and extremely dynamic; and where social and ecological responsibility and sustainable development are imperatives. The professor of industrial design should have a good comprehension of the development of the field and a cutting-edge specialization in developing advanced design practices and/or knowledge.
The professor will be providing, developing and leading teaching of industrial design on bachelor and master levels. The responsibilities of the position include also collaborating with industry, supervision of students on all levels of university education, engagement of a broad network of industrial design stakeholders, research and/or creative practice on the field of industrial design.
Throughout their careers, those in the academic tenure-track system are expected to exercise and guide academic research, to provide related higher education, to follow the advances of their field, to participate in service to the Aalto University community, and to take part in societal interaction and international collaboration in their field. The requirements for the position include the following:
- Applicants must have experience in industrial design practice. Applicants’ research experience is considered a merit.
- Applicants are expected to have master’s degree in a relevant field. Doctoral degree is considered a merit.
- Applicants should have demonstrated ability to teach at university level. Applicants’ ability to develop teaching and learning, as well as engaging partners in university-industry collaboration are considered merits.
- Applicants’ experiences in professional and/or academic community and leadership experiences are considered merits.
- Applicants need to be fluent in English. Finnish and Swedish proficiency are considered merits.
The applicants will be reviewed on the basis of their academic research and/or design work, teaching and academic and/or professional leadership and activity in academic and/or professional community.
Aalto University reserves the right to use external reviewers to support the evaluation of applicants during the recruitment process.
Aalto University follows the salary system of Finnish universities, but applicants may also provide salary requirements. The contract includes occupational health benefits and Finland has a comprehensive social security system.
How to apply
The application process includes two phases. In the first phase the applicants are required to submit the following material:
- Motivation letter (max. 1 page)
- Curriculum Vitae (max. 5 pages)
- List of professional design work and/or academic research publications
- Design portfolio including 5 most relevant design projects and/or academic research publications
- Statement containing vision of the professional and academic development of the field with an insight on forthcoming teaching and research priorities (max. 5 pages)
All material should be in English. The application material will not be returned.
Applications with attachments (in pdf-format) for the tenure-track position are to be addressed to the President of Aalto University and submitted through the link below no later than June 4, 2018.
From amongst the applicants in the first phase, Aalto University will select those who will be asked to supplement their application materials, and to visit the School of Arts, Design and Architecture in September 2018. Supplemented applications are submitted for review by external experts (the second phase of the application process).
General instructions for applicants including language requirements and guidelines for compiling CV are given at www.aalto.fi/en/tenure_track/for_applicant.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
For more Information
For additional information, please contact Head of Department, Professor Turkka Keinonen, tel. +358 50 5723 133, firstname.lastname@example.org (or in recruitment process -related questions HR coordinator Päivi Niemi tel. +358 501 8434, email@example.com)
In Helsinki, 20.4.2018