Art and Design Entertainment Design, 3D Animation Assistant Professor
Position Category: Faculty - Tenure Track (FT)
The Art & Design Department at Utah Valley University invites applications for a tenure-track position in Entertainment Design to begin August 2023. We seek a compelling artist and a collaborative educator who will teach undergraduate courses in 3D modeling, texturing, rigging, and animation in the disciplines of character and environment design. The successful candidate will motivate students to create compelling work, contribute to the Entertainment Design field through professional work, and serve on departmental, school or university committees. If requested, the candidate must be willing to serve on a rotation as the area coordinator. Coordinator duties include overseeing curriculum, supervising student activities and instruction, scheduling of courses, hiring, and overseeing adjunct instructors and managing the area budget.
The candidate is expected to demonstrate a commitment to teaching excellence, as well as to teaching diverse learners and modeling inclusive practices. The search committee encourages women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and indigenous persons to apply. We welcome applications from candidates whose record of scholarship, teaching, and/or service strengthens the department's ability to offer diverse perspectives and culturally responsive mentorship to our students.
UVU, located in Orem, Utah, is a comprehensive state institution of higher education with over 40,000 students. Orem is on the western front of the Wasatch Mountains and offers access to numerous outdoor activities including snow sports, hiking, mountain biking, and hunting. The Wasatch Front metropolitan area offers rich cultural opportunities in the arts including the Sundance Film Festival and world-class music and dance companies. The UVU campus is served by a wonderful public transit system, including a rail line that runs along the entire Wasatch Front urban corridor. The UVU School of the Arts has strong ties with other universities and with professionals in the arts in Utah. UVU and the School of the Arts strongly support undergraduate creative activities and service learning. UVU offers great health insurance and retirement benefits to faculty members. UVU offers an excellent benefits package that includes a generous leave policy, 13 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents, and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Graduation from a regionally accredited institution with an MFA or equivalent in 3D Art, Motion Graphics, Animation, or related field of study. Knowledge and skill in current instructional theories, strategies, techniques, and discipline content.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the 3D Arts workflow, practice, and theory
- Knowledge of student management, motivation and evaluation techniques
- Knowledge of Apple and PC computer hardware
- Experience with a variety of teaching methods and/or curricular perspectives
- Skills and experience with current industry 3D Software, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Skills in Modeling, Texturing, Rendering, Rigging, and Animation
- Skills in ZBrush and/or Substance Painter are a plus
- Skills in interpersonal relationships, problem-solving and decision-making
- Excellent communication skills
- Practice and teach the 3D workflow including modeling, texturing, and rigging.
- Must have experience with 3D software for Motion Graphics or Animation.
- Ability to mentor and motivate students
- Ability to relate well with students and colleagues
- Ability to evaluate student work effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to apply appropriate technology in classroom teaching
Professional Entertainment Design, 3D animation or related experience preferred. College level teaching experience in Entertainment Design, 3D animation or related disciplines also preferred.
Typical classroom instruction physical requirements.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package that includes a generous leave policy, 13 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents, and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: DOQ
Advertisement Number: FAC39822
Open Date: 09/19/2022
Review Start Date: 12/23/2022
Close Date: 2/15/2023
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant:
- Examples of professional work to be uploaded as a single PDF
- Examples of student work to be uploaded as a single PDF
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/30639
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.