***INTERNAL*** Chairperson-Assoc Professor or Full Professor
Film and Media Studies
***INTERNAL TO KU EMPLOYEES ONLY***
This position is for an internal Chair search which will provide leadership and oversight for all department activities, including outreach, as well as teaching, research, service responsibilities as a faculty member in the Department of Film & Media Studies in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. All applicants must hold a tenured appointment with the rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor in the Department of Film & Media Studies at the University of Kansas.
This position has a Limited Term Ending Date for a 5-year or possibly shorter term, with the possibility of reappointment upon satisfactory performance and mutual willingness to continue.
Chairperson Responsibilities (50%):
1. Provides leadership and oversight of all departmental activities, including outreach.
2. In consultation with the faculty, and with staff as appropriate, reviews and modifies the long-range planning for the department as it concerns its curriculum, faculty support, students, outreach, and fund-raising.
3. Oversees all internal budgetary, administrative, and personnel matters and reports to necessary administrative units.
4. Seeks enhancement of department resources by actively seeking external funding, actively collaborating with the Professional Advisory Board and other sources as time allows.
5. Administers the undergraduate and graduate academic programs of the department, in consultation with the department’s Graduate and Undergraduate Directors.
6. Supervises and reviews the department’s faculty and staff.
7. Develops and enhances research and educational relationships between the department and other units within the University as well as with public or private agencies outside the University.
8. Represents the Department in reporting to the College and other University entities, and communicates regularly to students, staff, and faculty the background and decision-making of any policy changes and how they will execute it.
9. Executes effectively College and University policies in the Department.
10. Develops and enhances research and educational relationships between the department and other units within the University, as well as with agencies outside the University, governmental, public, or private.
11. Oversees teaching assignments and ensures an equitable distribution of teaching assignments among faculty members in accordance with the teaching assignment policy of the College.
Faculty Responsibilities (50%):
1. Teach courses in his/her field of specialty.
2. Advise students, including student mentoring and providing directed readings, as time allows.
3. Supervise graduate teaching assistants, as assigned.
4. Serve on committees that supervise and evaluate student progress.
1. Engage in scholarly research, including publishing appropriate peer-reviewed books and articles and presenting papers at professional conferences.
1. Provide general service to his or her home department, the university, the state, and his or her academic field.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience and educational experiences in letter of application, (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in c.v., and (3) information provided from professional references.
1. Tenured appointment with the rank of Full or Associate Professor in the Department of Film and Media Studies.
2. Demonstrated teaching experience at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and commitment to teaching excellence as evidenced by application materials.
3. Demonstrated record of scholarly achievement, as evidenced by an established program of research with the promise of continued productivity.
4. Demonstrated commitment to interdisciplinary and international studies in teaching, research, and service as evidenced by application materials.
5. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and to manage interpersonal relations.
1. Ability and desire to serve as an academic leader, developing and enhancing research and educational relationships among faculty and between the department and its affiliated units.
2. Experience with KU and KUCR administrative procedures.
3. Experience in seeking outside funding and managing multiple projects.
Contact Information to Applicants
Catherine Preston, Search Committee Chair
Additional Candidate Instruction
***INTERNAL TO KU EMPLOYEES ONLY***
Application materials should include:
1) a statement of the candidate’s goals and vision for the department;
2) a curriculum vitae containing information on accomplishments in research, teaching, service, and administration; and
3) the contact information for three references who could speak to the qualifications and preparedness of the candidate to lead the unit.
In addition to the materials above, learning about each applicant’s contribution and engagement in areas of diversity is an important part of KU’s mission. As a result, applicants will be presented the following questions at the time of application. Each response must be within 4,000 characters or less.
Please describe your experience, approach or methodologies to create and implement inclusive teaching and advising practices, pedagogical techniques and course materials to create an inclusive classroom environment.
In your current and/or previous role, please provide an example outlining how you demonstrate your ongoing commitment in working with diverse groups/populations.
Application Deadline: Applications are due November 30, 2019. Review of applications will begin December 1, 2019.