Assistant/Associate Professor of Digital Media
The School of Architecture, Art and Design at the American University in Dubai invites qualified applicants for the position of Assistant/Associate Professor of Digital Media to begin teaching in Fall 2019.
Applicants should have a strong professional record and possess knowledge of a wide variety of interdisciplinary art-making strategies centering on or intersecting with video, sound, performance, interactive media, animation, durational installation, or other hybrid and emerging art forms.
Candidates must possess a thorough understanding of the history, contemporary practice, and theory of digital media and their relationship with other media; have significant expertise in digital technologies; and have a thorough understanding of emergent, adaptive, and social media technologies. The successful candidate must also demonstrate knowledge of software pertinent to the Digital Media field, including but not limited to Adobe CC, DaVinci Resolve, Ableton Live and MAX. Effective writing, communication and organizational abilities are essential. Candidates must be well prepared to work with a diverse student body and have an interest in mentoring undergraduate students.
- Master of Fine Arts with emphasis in art, design, or equivalent terminal degree conferred by the start of employment
- Experience in digital video production and post production
- Experience in sound production and post production
- Experience in digital interactive installation and performance
- Active and significant exhibition/professional record
- Evidence of excellence in teaching
- Broad knowledge of time-based digital strategies common in contemporary art and design
- Experience with curriculum building and/or program development
- Experience and evidence of excellence in teaching at multiple levels
- Demonstrated commitment to an interdisciplinary approach to teaching and personal practice
- Demonstrated commitment to student mentoring
- Demonstrated commitment to community engagement
- Broad knowledge and experience with DaVinci Resolve, Adobe CC, Ableton Live, MAX
- An understanding of contemporary theoretical and historical concepts in art and design, and the ability to encourage critical thinking and problem solving.
- Experience with program assessment, curriculum design, and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others is highly desirable
Candidates will have evidence of successful teaching experience or must demonstrate significant potential and promise of teaching effectiveness and excellence at the undergraduate level. Additionally, candidates are expected to meet standards for personal professional scholarship, and assist in student advising, curriculum development and other service to the department, school, and community.
The compensation package for this position is competitive and is based on the expatriate model. Besides tax-exempt basic salary, it includes housing, annual two-way airfare, health / life insurance, professional memberships, conference attendance expenses, assistance with children’s tuition, and other components.
The American University in Dubai is a private, non-sectarian institution of higher learning founded in 1995. It serves UAE nationals and international students who seek world-class career-oriented education. AUD, as an international institution of higher education, encourages global understanding by providing an atmosphere of cultural diversity and opportunities for an international education.
Applications will be accepted and evaluated until this position is filled.
Interested applicants must submit the following requirements via email to email@example.com.
- Cover letter
- Updated CV
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Contact information of three (3) academic/professional references
Alternatively, applicants can submit their application materials to the following postal address:
The American University in Dubai
P.O. Box 28282, Dubai, U.A.E.
No telephone calls please.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview.