The Department of Theatre and Dance
at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York (UB), invites applications for a Clinical Assistant Professor with a specialization in Music Theatre
. This position will have a 3/3 teaching load and service to the Music Theatre program. Each semester this position will serve as Music Director, and as a collaborative pianist for the musical, MTR 405. This includes providing accompaniment for rehearsals and casting auditions, helping to identify pit orchestra members, managing the budget for orchestra, and working collaboratively with director, designers, and student-cast.
This is a full-time (10 month) non-tenure-track faculty position with an emphasis on teaching, undergraduate recruitment, and artistic service. The initial appointment will be for a three-year term with opportunity for renewal based on performance, College need, and available funding. Depending on rotation and semester, other courses may include:
- MTR 305 SEM Music Theatre Workshop
- MTR 460 Applied Voice for Music Theatre
- MTR 410 Music Theatre Repertory 1
- MTR 410 Musical Theatre Repertory 2
- MTR 420 Musical Th Scene Study
- MTR 118 Musicianship for Music Theatre
- MTR 199 (UB Seminar)
- MTR 350 (Special Topics) such as singing for non-majors
We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, creative activities, and service that they will contribute to a climate of inclusivity, diversity, and excellence. Music Theatre program service may include:
- MTR recruitment/retention program initiatives;
- MTR Assembly;
- MTR juries (each semester);
- Accompaniment for incoming student auditions for Music Theatre program;
- Accompaniment for other courses as scheduled;
- Department meetings and committees;
- Assist in musical production related needs such as season selection;
- Identify musical theatre guest lectures, guest directors, musicians, accompanist;
- Curriculum development;
- Mentoring student projects;
- Building strategic relationships with professional theaters, casting directors, and producers;
- Faculty are expected to maintain regular office hours and contribute to department and system-wide committees;
- Other service to the Department may include Music Theatre Area Direction, participating in community engagement initiatives, and interdisciplinary projects within and outside the University.
UB’s Department of Theatre and Dance has a dynamic and interdisciplinary faculty, delivering in-depth curriculums that prepare students for a broad range of professional careers. Our programs include BA and BFA in Dance, Theatre Performance, Theatre Studies, Music Theatre, and Design Technology, as well as a graduate program that offers a MA and PhD in Theatre Performance and an MFA in Dance. In addition to producing a full season of performance events with UB’s Center for the Arts and Katharine Cornell Theatre, we host numerous guest artists, guest directors, and scholars. The department is a hub for interdisciplinary arts activity within the university, intersecting with Music, Visual Studies, Media Study, Architecture, Poetry, the Humanities Institute, and the Arts Collaboratory.
Buffalo, NY is a vibrant arts and cultural center that includes over twenty theatres, several professional and community dance companies, and numerous art galleries. It is home to well-known cultural organizations including the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Ujima Theatre Company, ArtPark, Squeaky Wheel Media Arts Center, Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center, African American Cultural Center, Just Buffalo Literary Center, Burchfield Penney Art Center and more. Buffalo is centrally located, with easy access to major metropolitan hubs in the Northeast including New York City, Boston, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal. Located on Lake Erie, just south of Niagara Falls, Buffalo's surrounding natural areas, state parks, beaches, rivers, and ski areas provide abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation and leisure.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit - all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages
.About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.