The Digital Media & Design Department in the School of Fine Arts at the University of Connecticut invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. The position will have a focus on Web/Interactive Media Design specializing in UI/UX, design, creative coding, net art, VR/AR, or AI. Acknowledging a lack of diversity in digital media industries, DMD embraces an inclusive environment and is particularly interested in receiving applications from members of underrepresented groups. The anticipated start date is August 23, 2023.
The Digital Media & Design (DMD) department is a dynamic, uniquely interdisciplinary academic unit led by faculty from the fine arts, business, STEM, and humanities fields. Established in 2013, this innovative and evolving department currently has 26 full-time faculty members, over 370 undergraduate and 18 graduate students (MFA), and offers BFA and BA degrees in the following concentrations: Digital Film/Video Production (BFA), 3D Animation (BFA), Motion Design & Animation (BFA), Game Design (BFA), Web/Interactive Media Design (BFA), Digital Culture (BA), and Digital Media Business Strategies (BA).
We place a strong emphasis on collaboration and experiential learning and currently have active human rights/social justice and STEAM initiatives. The Department has established strong working partnerships with large and small companies, start-ups, public institutions, and charitable nonprofits, giving students hands-on, real-world opportunities that benefit the creative economy of the state.
The University of Connecticut is a comprehensive, public, R1 institution. The Storrs campus is located in a beautiful area of New England, with a moderate cost of living and proximity to major cultural, recreational, and urban centers of the Northeast. The University community provides residents with a rich diversity of cultural, artistic, athletic, and historic experiences, and the surrounding area offers affordable quality housing and top schools for faculty and families. UConn is ranked as the top public university in New England.
Founded in 1881, UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant institution and member of the Space Grant Consortium. It is the state’s flagship institution of higher education and includes the main campus in Storrs, CT, four regional campuses throughout the state, and 13 Schools and Colleges, including a Law School in Hartford, and Medical and Dental Schools at the UConn Health campus in Farmington. The University has approximately 10,000 faculty and staff and 32,000 students, including nearly 24,000 undergraduates and over 8,000 graduate and professional students. UConn is a Carnegie Foundation R1 (highest research activity) institution, among the top 25 public universities in the nation. Through research, teaching, service, and outreach, UConn embraces diversity and cultivates leadership, enhancing the social, economic, cultural, and natural environments of the state and beyond. The University serves as a leader in many scholarly, research, and innovation areas. Today, the path forward includes exciting opportunities and notable challenges. Record numbers of undergraduate applications and support for student success have enabled the University to become extraordinarily selective.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We seek a candidate with a strong professional record, previous teaching experience at the university level, and a commitment to teaching undergraduate and graduate students of diverse backgrounds. The successful candidate is active in the fields of interactive media design and/or full-stack web development evidenced through their exhibition record or industry experience. We seek candidates with research specializations in one or more of the following areas: UI/UX design, creative coding, interactive storytelling, data visualization, net art, VR/AR, or machine learning (AI).
The position has a 2/3 teaching load, comprised of five 3-credit undergraduate and graduate courses per year, including first-year design courses and possible independent studies. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to develop innovative courses that relate to web and interactive media design studies and participate in building collaborations across disciplines, including the fields of art, education, business, and engineering. Additionally, a successful candidate must maintain an active academic agenda of research and/or professional creative projects and engage in service activities consistent with a tenure-track position.
- MFA or Ph.D. degree in art, design, digital media, visual communication, UX/UI fields, or equivalent.
- Teaching experience at the university level in all levels of design curriculum.
- Two years of professional experience working with current and emerging web/interactive media design development technologies, especially UI/UX design.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating professional design practice with an emphasis on web or interactive media design.
- Fluency in industry-standard interaction design software including Adobe CC, especially Illustrator, XD, and/or InDesign, Figma, and equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the learning experience through innovative research, teaching, and public engagement.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative predisposition are essential.
- A record of distinguished teaching and mentoring at the undergraduate and/or graduate level, utilizing active and inclusive pedagogy.
- At least 4 years of professional art and design teaching/research experience at the university level.
- Experience with design/coding for VR, AR, interactive emerging media, and/or data visualization.
- Experience as an artist, designer, creative technologist, art director, or creative director.
This is a full-time, 9-month, tenure-track appointment with a start date of August 23, 2023. The successful candidate’s primary appointment will be at the Storrs campus, though faculty may also be asked to teach at one of UConn’s regional campuses as part of their ordinary workload. Salary is competitive and based on background, qualifications, and professional experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online to the Academic Jobs Online https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/24210 and submit the following application materials:
- A cover letter specifically addressing your credentials relative to the minimum and preferred qualifications listed above,
- A complete curriculum vitae,
- A digital portfolio of scholarly and/or creative research and 3-5 student work samples, if available,
- A statement of teaching philosophy,
- A one to two-page research/scholarship statement,
- A one-page commitment to diversity and inclusion statement,
- Names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until filled. If you have questions related to the search, please send a detailed inquiry to Marcella Vertefeuille, Administrative Assistant for the Department of Digital Media & Design, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with #497164 DIGITAL MEDIA WEB/INTERACTIVE MEDIA DESIGN SEARCH in the subject line.
For more information regarding the Department of Digital Media & Design, visit http://dmd.uconn.edu.
At the University of Connecticut, our commitment to excellence is complemented by our commitment to building a culturally diverse community.
This position will be filled subject to budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.