Ohio University’s BFA in Theater Performance program invites applicants for a Music Director and Assistant Professor of Musical Theater, beginning Fall 2020. Salary commensurate with experience. The College of Fine Arts is invested in hiring faculty members who contribute to the climate of diversity and inclusion in the Schools of Theater and Music.
Nine-month renewable tenure-track co-appointment in the Schools of Theater and Music. Generous benefits. Details: https://www.ohio.edu/hr/benefits/.
- MM/MFA/DMA or equivalent professional experience in musical theater music direction
- Extensive knowledge of musical theater and popular/contemporary music repertoire
- Professional experience as a music director/conductor/accompanist
- Experience developing new musicals
- Interest/experience working with Actor Musicians, including arranging, re-orchestration, and composition
- Knowledge and experience with music technology used in musical theater, including keyboard programming, arranging, notation, backing/click tracks, etc.
- Ability to teach music skills (theory and ear-training)
- Experience/ability in vocal coaching
- Ability to teach acting fundamentals
- Experience in university teaching and mentoring students of diverse backgrounds
- Ongoing professional engagement
Teach and co-teach undergraduate courses in the BFA Theater Performance (Musical Theater & Acting tracks) curriculum, including musical theater workshops, song performance, pit orchestra, and other teaching responsibilities as assigned. Serve as music director for a minimum of one full production each academic year and other special events as assigned. Support advising and recruiting/retention of students.
The Theater Division is a production-oriented unit of Ohio University’s College of Fine Arts with MFA programs in acting, playwriting, design, and technology, and BFA degrees in the above areas as well as stage management. Visit https://www.ohio.edu/finearts/theater/index.cfm The division’s Performance Area has trained and helped launch many actors toward successful careers in New York, Chicago, and in regional theater across the country. Our BFA and MFA in Acting programs follow a rigorous progression of techniques including Meisner, Fitzmaurice, Rodenburg, Knight, Body Mind Centering, Laban, Suzuki, Viewpoints, stage combat, and Michael Chekhov. Visit https://ouacting.com/ to learn more about the Performance program.