Department, Community, University Description
The School of Art and Design at Northern Illinois University (NIU) invites applications for one tenure-track position in the area of Art and Design Education, at the rank of Assistant Professor, beginning Fall 2020.
NIU, located 65 miles west from Chicago, is a comprehensive teaching and research-based institution with close to 17,000 currently enrolled students. The main campus is located in DeKalb, 65 miles west of Chicago’s "Loop" and 40 miles southeast of Rockford. In addition to the main campus, NIU has three education centers in Hoffman Estates, Rockford, and Naperville. DeKalb/Sycamore, with a population of about 50,000, is a modern paradox, a rural/urban community. It is simultaneously recognized for its manufacturing and rich farmlands. The site of the first manufacture of barbed wire and the development of hybrid seed corn are evidence of its diversified history. The blend of industry and agriculture, coupled with the cultural and recreational facilities of the university and supplemented by easy access to Chicago and Rockford, provide an enjoyable environment in which to live.
The School of Art and Design’s Art and Design Education Division offers three degree programs: B.S.Ed. with Illinois teacher licensure, an M.S. with an option for completing the degree online and a residency option for obtaining Illinois teacher licensure, and a Ph.D.
The Assistant Professor, Art and Design Education is expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses that emphasize technology and special needs in art and design education, oversight of online graduate program, general methodology for both art and design education majors and general elementary majors, and supervise clinical licensure experiences in school settings.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate art and design education courses.
- Supervise clinical experience in schools and on campus.
- Coordinate the MS in Art and Design Education on-line program.
- Contribute to undergraduate and graduate program development and evaluation.
- Undertake professional service inside and outside the University.
- Participate in the assessment of student progress and report assessment outcomes.
- Undertake graduate advising.
- Maintain an ongoing record of research and/or artistry.