Open-rank Professor of Scenic Design (full-time, tenure track)
School of Drama
Carnegie Mellon University
The School of Drama within the College of Fine Arts at Carnegie Mellon University invites applicants for an open-rank Professor of Scenic Design (full-time, tenure-track) to join our Scenic Design program. The Scenic Design Program prepares students for careers in theater, television and film, opera, dance, and emerging forms of entertainment. Under the mentorship of world-class faculty, emphasis is placed on developing the individual artist as the foundation for collaborative creation. We combine established practice and innovative pedagogical and technological advancement across all subject areas with an intensive student-centered school production season. Our graduates commit to the enrichment of diverse art practices, champion interdisciplinary collaboration, explore new forms of creative expression and promote community and diversity. We are the first drama degree-granting institution, having been established in 1914, and have a long, rich history of nurturing inventive artists at the forefront of the industry.
Location: This position requires being physically based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania throughout the academic year.
Position Type: This position is open rank, tenure track in Scenic Design. The position begins in academic year 2023-24, with a commitment of nine months per year for an initial appointment of three years.
This position is an integral part of the dynamic, drama conservatory at the College of Fine Arts, specifically located within a three-person scenic design faculty team.
The successful candidate will teach specific courses determined in collaboration with other area faculty and leadership. This will be based on the candidate’s expertise and interest. These courses will be taught to graduate and undergraduate students.
Part of curricular expectation is mentoring and active advising of student designers on their production responsibilities. With few exceptions, the work on our productions is organized, managed and created by our students.
We are looking to hire a vital partner in building the next generation of the program. This person will be an instrumental voice in an ongoing forward-facing curricular review; a passionate and essential contributor to the future of conservatory education.
Base salary is $70k plus benefits, with negotiation based on rank and commensurate experience.
Ongoing professional engagement is expected, encouraged and supported.
- An open and collaborative individual engaged with creating collegial teams within and across disciplines
- MFA or equivalent terminal degree is desired. Candidates without a terminal degree are encouraged to apply if they have equivalent professional and demonstrated teaching experience (even in non-traditional settings) that prepares them for the responsibilities of a tenure track position
- Ongoing professional practice
- Teaching and mentoring experience
- Portfolio exhibiting diverse practices (both traditional and non-traditional), genres, and work in analogous fields representing you as an engaged artist and educator
To apply, please submit the following:
- Cover Letter describing your qualifications and interest in the position; summarizing your experience, what you might bring to the program and how your growth as an artist and educator can continue to evolve as part of our community. Please include examples of how you address diversity, equity and inclusion in your practice.
- Comprehensive Digital Portfolio or Website link
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- List of at least three current References with contact information
The application review process:
- Review of applications will begin immediately
- The application process will close on December 9, 2022
- Early application is encouraged
The search committee is interested in attracting a diverse pool of applicants; if you have questions about your qualifications for this position, please contact the search committee chair Brian Russman. Send such inquiries and any administrative questions to Joyce Dellovade at email@example.com
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity? Please apply!