San Francisco State University
School of Design
Assistant Professor position in Visual Communication Design
San Francisco State University, School of Design offers an exciting opportunity for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Visual Communication Design beginning August 2019.
We seek a colleague whose teaching and research interests are grounded in traditional skills such as typography, form, and layout, but who can also promote conceptual investigations rooted in an understanding of design history and theory. Additionally, candidates should have a broad range of experience in media crossing from traditional print media to digital/interactive and should be able to integrate teaching across media. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, and through diversity, to the excellence of the academic community.
The School of Design undergraduate and graduate programs reflect a strategic, user-centered design practice that celebrates diversity and community. The school is driven by nationally and internationally acclaimed professionally-active faculty. Students at all levels are encouraged to engage in user-centered design practices and strategic decision making. Design faculty are committed to a collective mission of teaching and research, to support student growth in design practice in a liberal arts context at the undergraduate level, where we offer a B.S. in Visual Communication Design, a B.S. in Product Design and at the graduate level, where we offer an M.A. in Design
The mission of San Francisco State University is to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area; to promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment; and to provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as the nation and world. To fulfill its mission, the University is committed to the following goals:
- Attracting, retaining and graduating a highly diverse student population
- Providing a domain-specific, interdisciplinary, liberal arts and professional education that is academically rigorous and intellectually challenging
- Providing curricula that reflect all dimensions of human diversity, and that encourage critical thinking and a commitment to social justice
- Recruiting, retaining and supporting a diverse faculty whose teaching demonstrates an active engagement with their individual fields of study and whose creative and scholarly work is an extension of the classroom, laboratory or studio
- Employing a staff and administration reflecting the diversity of our student community and the values of the campus
- Fostering a collaborative and cooperative intellectual environment that includes recognition and appreciation of differing viewpoints and promotes academic freedom within the University community; and
- Serving the communities with which its students and faculty are engaged.
Responsibilities: The position requires undergraduate and graduate teaching in visual communication design, mentoring and advising undergraduate and graduate students, developing an active ongoing scholarship program or program of creative work in one’s area of specialty, and ongoing committee and service assignments. Detailed position description is available at http://design.sfsu.edu/jobs-design.
- Ph.D., M.F.A, or equivalent terminal degree in Visual Communication Design, Graphic Design, Design or relevant discipline from an accredited program. Terminal degree must be completed by the first day of employment. Exceptional professional experience, training, and expertise at least equivalent to those required for the Master of Fine Arts degree may also be considered.
- Record of teaching contributions in the areas of Visual Communication Design and Graphic Design.
- Active record of scholarship or creative activity related to specialty area.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate inclusion, diversity, and educational equity in teaching, and/or in scholarship/creative works
- Experience teaching and working closely with students from historically under-represented communities
- Record of contributing to supportive and collaborative work environments
Rank and salary: Assistant Professor. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The California State University (CSU) provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Application: Submit letter of intent/interest, a current CV, a statement on how your teaching and scholarship and/or creative work align with the commitment of the School of Design to foster an inclusive and diverse academic community; work portfolio (and/or samples of scholarly papers if applicable), teaching philosophy, description of research/creative interests as relevant; names and contact information of three references. Letters of recommendation upon request at a later date. Application review begins January 10, 2019 and continues until filled.
Send your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: "Search Committee – Assistant Professor Visual Communication Design"
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.