Visiting Lecturer - Foundations
University of Massachusetts Lowell
The Art and Design Department in the College of Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences seeks applicants for a Visiting Lecturer in Foundations, commencing September 1, 2019. The successful candidate will be teaching six classes per year at the undergraduate level as well as service work at the departmental level which includes: student advising, curriculum development, senior project reviews, recruitment, and outreach. A successful candidate will be current with contemporary approaches in art such as digital video production, imaging, new media technologies, motion graphics, installation art, and social practices. Coding, 4D design, and interactive media literacy would be favorable additional skills. The Art and Design Department emphasizes conceptual and aesthetic innovation while encouraging student-centered pedagogy. UMass Lowell welcomes applicants with experience working with diverse populations who can contribute to an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and identities.
• Earned MFA degree in Studio Art or a terminal degree in a related field. (Must have degree at the time of application)
• Substantial portfolio of creative work
• Strong knowledge of foundation studies and contemporary art issues
• Knowledge of Autodesk Maya, Processing, or similar 3D or coding proficiencies a plus
• Solid knowledge of contemporary art history and movements
• Demonstrated understanding of theoretical, conceptual and critical aspects of Art
• Industry/commercial experience in the field
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• High level of technical proficiency with current digital tools, applications and programs, including the Adobe Creative Suite
• Experience with curriculum development
• Interdisciplinary collaborations
• The ability to work effectively with diverse groups
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please include the following documents with your application:
• Cover Letter
• Teaching Statement/Philosophy
Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
To apply, please go to: https://explorejobs.uml.edu/lowell/en-us/job/498348/visiting-lecturer-foundations
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
In addition to submitting the required documents above with your online application, a portfolio (see details below) must be submitted to https://umlartfaculty.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/47871
The portfolio should consist of:
• A portfolio of applicant's work (20 images/videos maximum) and a link to your website if available
• 15-20 examples of work from five or more students labeled as such
• An online portfolio including both the applicant and students’ work is also acceptable. The students' work must have been produced in the applicant's classes or with the applicant's oversight
Both the portfolio (SlideRoom) and online application with required documents (UML) must be completed for a finished application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.