The Department of Art and Visual Culture in the College of Design at Iowa State University is offering a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in fine art photography and time-based media starting August 16, 2019.
Qualified candidates must bring a broad perspective on photography as well as the ability to teach both analog and digital technologies. The candidate may have experience in experimental/alternative photographic processes and time-based media (including video and/or animation). The successful candidate is expected to teach 5 courses per year (undergraduate and graduate levels) that include studio courses and seminars in all areas of photographic media as well as contributing to teaching in the interdisciplinary collegiate programs in the College of Design.
The successful candidate will work with a diverse group of students from multiple design disciplines with a range of skill levels. The position responsibilities will also include scholarship and research in the area of the candidate’s expertise, student advising, service on department, college and university committees, and administration of photography studio including darkroom equipment.
The Department of Art and Visual Culture (AVC) is one of seven distinguished departments within the College, along with Architecture, Community and Regional Planning, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and Landscape Architecture. The College of Design is dedicated to all forms of diversity and inclusion, and committed to the expanded role of art and design as an agent of change in society.
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 34,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
Ames, Iowa is a progressive community of 60,000, located approximately 30 minutes north of Des Moines, and recently voted one of the best college towns in the nation.
Iowa State University is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants, including women, underrepresented populations, and veterans. ISU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, is dedicated to work-life balance through an array of policies, and is an NSF ADVANCEinstitution.
All employees are expected to exhibit and convey good citizenship within the program, the department, college, university activities, collegial interactions, and maintain the highest standards of integrity and ethical behavior.
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree or equivalent or BFA in fine/visual/studio arts + masters in related discipline
- Evidence of successful college level teaching experience
- Evidence of professional accomplishment
- Experience in administering photography studio
- Evidence of successful college level teaching experience beyond graduate assistant-ship
- Knowledge and experience of teaching time-based media
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary trends in photography and time-based media
To apply for this position, please click visit http://www.iastatejobs.com/postings/37292 and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
3) Artist Statement, attached as ‘Other Document(s) 1’.
4) Statement of Teaching Philosophy
5) A pdf portfolio, attached as ‘Other Document(s) 2’, of 20 labeled images of your creative work (title, date, media). File size cannot exceed 9MB.
6) A pdf portfolio, attached as ‘Other Document(s) 3’, of 20 labeled images of student work (title, date, media). File size cannot exceed 9MB.
7) Contact information for three professional references.