The Associate Dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts reports to the dean, and provides leadership as the curricular dean and advising dean of the college; supervises student services of the college; responsible for student retention decisions; represents the dean in the dean’s absence; participates in the College Council, College Senates and other committees and task forces as the representative of the college; represents the college in student recruitment open houses and welcoming events and alumni events; supervises assigned staff, and handles other duties related to the position as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
1. Provide leadership as the Curricular Dean, chair the College Curriculum Committee, manage curricular changes in the college, represent the college in university-level and community college-related curricular matters, handle contract majors, supervise course activity documentation, etc.;
2. Supervise student services of the college related to issues such as semester schedule changes, general education, range of student problems, financial aid concerns, registration matters, etc.;
3. Provide leadership as the Advising Dean, interact with the heads of advising in other colleges and the Academic Advising Center, review policies and actions proposed by School Advisors, present Orientation sessions to parents of new VPA students, promote Themed Learning Communities in the college, etc.;
4. Evaluate and make student retention decisions such as academic probation, freshman warning, dismissal, judicial referrals, etc., in collaboration with college advising staff;
5. Serve as an ex-officio member of the College Council and chair the College Council in the dean’s absence, participate in College Senate meetings, and serve as the college liaison to university committees and campus units;
6. Represent the college in student recruitment open houses, student welcome days’ events, commencement, USOAR selection process, Homecoming, and various NIU events;
7. Supervise assigned staff and their responsibilities, serve as the acting dean in the dean’s absence and participate in the Council of Deans, and handle other duties related to the position as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
- Terminal degree in a field associated with the disciplines in the College;
- Minimum rank of Associate Professor, with tenure;
- Experience in an administrative role;
Education and Experience Preferred
- Ability to read and analyze data, familiarity with university, college and school bylaws, faculty governance structure, admissions and enrollment processes;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills; ability to collaborate, mediate, and negotiate;
- Ability to advise students in curricular and co-curricular matters; knowledge of financial aid and scholarship processes;
- Ability to work people at all levels of the university and those external to the university.
- Enrollment management and facult