Located in the vibrant city of Miami, Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a "R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest Research Activity" and recognized as a Carnegie Community Engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as business, engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion each year to the local economy and is ranked second in Florida in Forbes Magazine’s "America’s Best Employers" list. FIU graduates are consistently among the highest paid college graduates in Florida and are among the leaders of public and private organizations throughout South Florida. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission with multiple state-of-the-art research facilities including the Wall of Wind Research and Testing Facility, FIU’s Medina Aquarius Program and the Advanced Materials Engineering Research Institute. FIU has awarded more than 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, the Miami Beach Urban Studios, and Tianjin, China. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
ABOUT THE FIU COLLEGE OF COMMUNICATION, ARCHITECTURE + THE ARTS
The FIU College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts (CARTA) provides students with the distinct experience of working closely with an award-winning faculty in nationally ranked accredited programs in the heart of Miami, North Miami, Miami Beach, and Wynwood-four of the country’s most vibrant, diverse, and creative cities. CARTA emphasizes experiential learning, where students learn by doing through art and design studios, performances and productions, a student-run communication agency, and student news bureaus in Miami, New York City and Washington DC. Focused on its engaged mission of driving the information, innovation, and cultural economy of South Florida and beyond, CARTA is committed to a trans-disciplinary, experiential learning curriculum that prepares graduates for meaningful careers and leadership in their chosen professions.
The Department of Art + Art History at Florida International University is currently seeking applications for a full-time, non-tenure earning, Instructor of Animation beginning in Fall semester 2020.
The preferred candidate will be expected to demonstrate excellence and leadership in:
- Creative and scholarly activities
- Teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Developing curricula and course syllabi, following established institutional guidelines
The candidate will also be expected to perform other reasonable related duties as assigned.
- M.F.A. in Art, computer animation or related field; or a master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in animation/digital arts.
- Keen knowledge of all aspects of animation production, sound editing, motion graphics/animation, and emerging technology, formats, and distribution channels
- Advanced proficiency with state-of-the art animation industry and related software, including MAYA, Advanced Adobe Creative Cloud skills (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
- Preferred 3 years of professional work experience, either in the field, or teaching.
- Ability to build successful relationships with student and colleagues in a multi-ethnic/multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- An online portfolio with current projects
- Ability to adapt to dynamic multi-campus organizational work environments.
- Understanding and embracing the mission of the University.
- Skill in building strategic alliances both within and across disciplines.
- A positive, collegial attitude and a high level of professionalism
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 520239 at https://facultycareers.fiu.edu/ and upload the following:
1. A letter of interest (maximum two pages) that summarizes the candidate’s professional background, teaching experience, and administrative experience.
2. A brief teaching statement.
3. A Curriculum Vitae.
4. Portfolio of relevant teaching and professional work in PDF format not to exceed 10 MB. The PDF portfolio should include links to moving images/video online work. It must include the candidate’s creative animation work and the work of the candidate’s students, plus 2-3 sample syllabi.
5. Names and contact information of three references. They will be contacted if the applicant is shortlisted.
To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by February 10, 2020. Review will continue until the position is filled. Direct any questions to Silvia Pease, Chair of the Search Committee, via email at: email@example.com. The initial appointment will start in August 2020.