Assistant Professor, Drama/Voice and Speech
The University of Virginia Department of Drama invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor, tenure-track, with a specialty in Voice and Speech, beginning August 2020.
We seek candidates who will advance the field of voice and speech through published research and/or creative work. The faculty member in this position will make vital contributions to our curriculum, teaching advanced technique to graduate students earning the M.F.A. in Acting, and undergraduate courses in voice and speech in theatre and other contexts. Candidates must have experience working with a broad range of students, professional actors, texts, and theatre traditions, and they must have a demonstrated commitment to advancing excellence through diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition to teaching and research/creative activity, duties will include mentoring M.F.A. actors as well as departmental and university service.
Our department offers the B.A. in Drama, the Minor in Dance, and the M.F.A. in Drama (including professional actor training and specializations in design and technology). Faculty and students produce an academic-year season of musicals, plays, dance concerts, student works, new media works, devised works, and more, and we frequently collaborate with other programs at the university and in the community. The department also hosts the Heritage Theatre Festival, a professional summer theatre. The Drama Building is a state-of-the-art complex encompassing three theatres (proscenium, thrust, black box), classrooms, studio space, and shops.
For more information on the Department of Drama, please visit http://drama.virginia.edu.
(1) terminal degree by time of appointment;
(2) training in one or more recognized techniques of vocal pedagogy;
(3) active agenda of research publication and/or professional creative activity;
(4) experience in teaching and coaching voice and speech in higher education and professional theatre settings;
(5) experience in advancing excellence through diversity, equity, and inclusion
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs.
Search for requisition #R0011651, complete the application, and attach the following:
(2) Contact information for 3 references;
(3) Statement describing your experience and approach to teaching and coaching voice;
(4) Cover letter describing your agenda for research and/or creative activity, and your experience and approach to advancing excellence through diversity, equity, and inclusion (please visit https://eocr.virginia.edu/Contribution-IE-Applicants).
***Please note that multiple documents should be uploaded in the resume box.***
***Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Questions regarding the position Richard Will, Associate Professor and Chair of Drama, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to: Nicole Robinson, Faculty Search Advisor, email@example.com.
The University will perform background checks on all new faculty hires prior to making a final offer of employment.
UVA assists faculty spouses and partners seeking employment in the Charlottesville area.
To learn more please visit https://dualcareer.virginia.edu.
For more information about UVA and the Charlottesville community please see http://www.virginia.edu/life/charlottesville and https://embarkcva.com/.