Head of Voice and Speech for the Old Globe and University of San Diego Shiley Graduate Theatre Program
The Old Globe and University of San Diego Shiley Graduate Theatre Program seeks a dynamic and visionary artist as core faculty of Voice and Speech for the two-year MFA Acting Program.
We invite an experienced educator and industry practitioner to teach voice and speech courses, coach graduate productions, and collaboratively design new voice and speech curriculum with the program director and faculty. Equity, Diversity, Inclusivity, Belonging, Accessibility, and Cultural Competency should be top priorities in this instructor's teaching methods. We are interested in professional practitioners and educators asking how we all move forward in the 21st- century. They will have significant experience and knowledge of our current industry as an innovative theatre maker and a vibrant curiosity to approach the work from various aesthetics and techniques to expand the actor's imagination and learning methods. Very interested in someone whose passionate work ethic and genuine appreciation for healthy practice sustains, supports, and nurtures the artistic student in the day-to-day rehearsals, classwork, performance process, and career. The appointment is an Open Rank hire as Professor of Practice, Tenure-track, or Tenured. USD and The Old Globe Theatre encourage applications from individuals who identify in communities underrepresented in professional theatre and academia. We are greatly interested in meeting with experienced BIPOC practitioners and educators.
The successful candidate will teach voice and speech courses, participate in department and university activities and collaborate with the program director and faculty to frame the goals and values of the Voice and Speech curriculum and pedagogy; collaborate with the program director in recruiting new talent and assessment of guest faculty; and serve as Voice and Speech coach for program productions as needed. Also, opportunities to direct within the Shiley Graduate Theatre season may be available.
The Head of Voice and Speech participates in faculty meetings, retreats, company calls, evaluations, and committees with an eye to students' overall progress and health, particularly in releasing habitual tension and combining full breath support with vocal strength, agility, and imaginative expression.
The Shiley Graduate Theatre faculty upholds, attends, executes, contributes to, and supports the Old Globe/USD Shiley Graduate Theatre Program Artistic Social Justice Action Plan through teaching techniques, curriculum, and participating in mandatory and volunteer EDI Bystander Intervention training throughout the year. Social Justice Action Plan
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
The successful candidates will have
- A terminal degree in theatre or equivalent professional experience.
- 5+ years of Voice and Speech experience in the field of theatre. Welcomed areas of expertise include certification, recognition, or equivalent experience with voice and speech methodologies; voice and text coaching for Shakespeare and other classical texts in a higher education and/or professional theatre environment; dialect coaching for professional theatre; inclusive methodologies for IPA; singing for the actor.
All skill sets, knowledge, and experience are considered that engage the actor to commit to language, impulse, and body that complement our program goals.
- The ability to support a broad age group of graduate students and demonstrate a commitment to teaching, mentoring, and fostering a climate of inclusion and diversity.
$80,000 - $107,340; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
Special Application Instructions
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. Candidates are asked to submit the following materials. Submit your application by August 27, 2023.
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching Statement describing your approach to creating a curriculum in voice and speech that supports and values an inclusive ensemble of 21st-century actors for the American Theatre and a sample syllabus
- Diversity statement, in which you address A) your values for diversity, equity, and inclusion; B) your experience working with minoritized populations and/or on issues that disproportionately affect diverse populations; and C) your plans related to diversity and inclusion in your teaching and field.
- Contact information for three references who will be sent a link to upload letters.
If you have any technical questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/496346/head-of-voice-and-speech-for-the-old-globe-and-university-of-san-diego-shiley-graduate-theatre-program