Visiting Artist in Graphic Design
Art and Art History
The Department of Art and Art History at Adelphi University is seeking a Visiting Artist in Graphic Design for a full-time, one-year, non-tenure-track appointment.
Adelphi's concentration in graphic design is an immersive two-year degree program comprised of upper-level undergraduate art majors working within a functioning graphic design studio. Students receive both intensive, personalized instruction as well as practical experience within the equivalent of a small commercial graphic design firm. The studio receives commissions or projects from clients both from within and outside the University, engaging students in the entire design process; from conception to implementation of the finalized design project.
The successful candidate will both oversee the graphic design program, including the studio, and teach a suite of courses within it every semester. This person will also oversee and advise both Junior and Senior majors within the concentration. Candidates should demonstrate excellence in teaching related to their specific expertise within the professional Graphic Design curriculum. The ideal candidate will be able to work collaboratively with fellow faculty within a small program, specialized in personal attention.
Specific duties include:
- The Graphic Design instructor organizes and oversees required internships for both Junior and Senior students.
- Directing the design projects for the University's multiple units across campus- (brochures and catalogs...etc. Direct design projects for outside of the University clients as well.)
- Organizing invitations to professional designers to give feedback as guest critics to the students.
- Supervises the senior capstone design projects and senior graphic design exhibition.
- Teaching on average 3 courses per semester, a combination of design classes for Juniors, and seniors. The following courses are scheduled for the Fall 2020 semester.
ART 301: Computer-Graphic Applications I
ART 437: Advertising Design I
ART 433: Senior Project in Graphic Design
- The successful candidate will have an MFA and a minimum of five years of professional experience in commercial graphic design.
- The ideal candidate would have at least three years of academic teaching experience and demonstrated success in working with diverse populations.
- Adelphi University is most interested in candidates who can advance the institution's commitment toward a diverse and inclusive educational institution through their pedagogy, practice, and experience.
1. Applications should include:
a. Letter of Interest
b. Curriculum Vitae
c. Digital Portfolio of Graphic Design Professional work
d. Digital Portfolio of Student Samples of Graphic work
e. Contact information for three professional references
Only electronic submissions will be reviewed. Applications will be accepted until Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2020. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research and teaching university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core FourArts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report,
Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 8,100 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=43&rid=2438